Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
having a serious issue regarding a 2010 lusso Diesel where i press the brake padel firmly and the brakes lock up and stay locked even when the pedal is released! no ABS juddering but a full on lock up and tyre smoke, very concerning and not giving me any braking confidence at the moment, any ideas what the fault may be?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I would bet most of my worldly wealth on seized calipers! Your car is at an age of 6 years and may possibly be on it's first set of pads. Mine is! So a good clean of the pistons and a new set of pads will probably get you back into the zone. The Alfa service reccomendation at your cars age is a full fluid replacement. This will remove any water that the brake fluid has absorbed over the years but first and foremost get the calipers cleaned and serviced!

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
But the issue wasn't there before the change? Does this happen to the front aswell as the rear?

Go back andmake sure the pads can move freely in the calipers (brembo) or the carriers. Check the sliders for the calipers aren't stuch, and try pushing/winding the pistons back.

Check the brake fluid isn't black because this might indicate the flexies are disintegrating/collapsing.

Do you have any warning lights on? There's a function in the ABS unit to assist you in emergency braking (it'll add brake pressure if you don't apply enough) but I'm unsure what the conditions are to trigger this.

You could try to remove all ABS fuses (or undo the wiring connector on the ABS unit to be sure) and see if the error persists. But be aware that the Brake Force Distribution isn't working so the rears are likely to lock up. if the problem is gone, you've got an electronics issue.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
From Elearn:

The ABS control unit also controls the distribution of the braking load between the front and rear axles, meaning that the mechanical load proportioning valve used previously can be dispensed with (EBD function: Electronic Brake Distribution).
The control unit is equipped with a self-diagnosis function: when an error in the ABS function is detected, the warning light switches on and the system is deactivated at the same time. In these conditions the vehicle brakes using the traditional system only.
When the control unit detects an error which also affects the EBD function, it turns on the ABS failure warning light and the low brake fluid and handbrake applied warning light.
In these conditions the rear braking distribution control is deactivated: the driver must therefore proceed very carefully to the first authorised service centre.

Hill holder could hold the brakes after stopping. for 2 seconds when you release the brakes (and don't do anything after that) but up to 10 seconds while applying throttle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts