Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning guys!

As the title suggests I have a slight problem... Battery has died in my Brera (Full disclaimer, car has been stuck at a garage during lockdown since the end of March with the battery connected, should've guessed this would happen).
They started work on it this week, but went to open the bonnet and realised they couldn't open the door. Fob doesn't work as the battery is dead, but the physical key doesn't work either? Just doesn't turn when inserted into the barrel, which is concerning.

Anyone else experienced something like this? The only things I've read are that you can jump the starter, and hope they get enough power to unlock the car, what I've mentioned to the garage. Or call out my breakdown cover and hope they can get in, although I've heard there is a rick of the glass shattering which I could do without.

Any other suggestions are appreciated, just want to get my car back now!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Jack the car up, put a positive feed direct to the starter motor, then press the key fob that should open the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jack the car up, put a positive feed direct to the starter motor, then press the key fob that should open the car.

Thanks mate, this was what we were planning on doing. Giving the garage a call again today to see if they managed to get things working. Kinda makes the physical key redundant, right?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
The key should work pal. My guess you either have a seized lock or it’s another key fob reprogrammed to your car

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The key should work pal. My guess you either have a seized lock or it’s another key fob reprogrammed to your car

Just my luck that! Have to see if I can release the lock fingers crossed, this isn't a situation II'd like to be in whenever my battery dies.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Just my luck that! Have to see if I can release the lock fingers crossed, this isn't a situation II'd like to be in whenever my battery dies.
A locksmith would be able to fix it. I’ve seen one that to comes to our works when keys have been snapped in the ignition. They can strip & replace all the internal parts and cut a new key so we could keep the same ignition barrel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts