Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 159 is in for a few days warranty work, so have a Giulietta as a loan car.
First impressions a bit of a mix.
I have the 140 JTDm, so not really easy to compare with the 159. Obviously consumption is wayyy better (34 vs 49) and I do like how it handles.
Trim is a bit disappointing, but then it is the Turismo level. Top of dash is soft, but the plastic trim around the controls, door handles and front of dash is very cheap and nasty.
Stop and Start doesn't seem to work (keep getting message saying 'not available', not managed to work that out yet)

First time I've had a play with the 'd.n.a' system. Thought it would be a gimmick, but in fairness it does work (although I can't see why you would bother with the 'n' setting :lol:)

There's a fair bit of room in the rear too compared to the larger 159.

On this brief experience I'd like to try a sportier version, with better trim levels. Am planning to keep the 159 for another year/18 months so it's definitely an option for the future, as the Giulia might still not be out by then

·
Administrator
86,752 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
ive never been in a 159, but compared to my VW scirocco before, i thought the GS (my QV anyway, ) interior was up to the same standard. There were lots of hard plastics in the scirocco and a few in the g, but the g is a lot more stylish, with nice designed curves. Only think i dont like is the panel underneath wheel, where you can see all the wiring from the passenger seat. I quite liek the gear shift area way it swoops down to the floor, and surround with that piano black trim...

Overall im impressed with the interior.... maybe you were spoilt in the 159.?!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a 1.4 TB and the plastics feel and look exactly the same as in the MA I test drove. It also feels the same as in a diesel G I rented for 2 weeks in Italy. Same plastic.. The wobbly part probably has more to due with lusso vs veloce than ma vs tb. If by wobbly you mean wobbly driving.

I have also test driven a 159 and I do think the materials in the interior feels supperior to the G. But the G interior do look very stylish :)

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
The 159 / Brera dash plastics are of higher quality of that there is no doubt. But the interior quality of the G is still very good.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm being a 'bit' picky I admit :)

I had a loan Vauxhall Astra a couple of weeks ago, ewww that interior was awful. Most new cars have so much recycled plasic in them nowaday anyway.

I sat in a Cloverleaf whilst I was waiting, and that was really impressive just sitting in it. Would love to take a drive in one :)

My main concern re the interior are the two bits of trim that have fallen off in the 50 or so miles I have driven it :eek:
Steering wheel cowl trim, and a part of the door handle has come loose!

Driving position is ok, admittedly I'm spoilt with the 159 (it's a Ti) re seats. The G's are comfy, but need a bit more adjustment. Again, I'm sure the higher spec models will be better.
Lack of a footrest will take some getting used to. As with most cars designed as LHD, the centre tunnel I find gets in the way.

My main disappointment is I couldn't find the Uma Thurman promised in the TV ad....

D

·
0 Posts
sorry @felix, i meant wobbly in the suspension was very soft, but only because im used to the stiff qv.
Actually i will retract my statement about cheap, i think the fact that it was a loan car and definitely not looked after in its time, it was scruffy.
Please accept my apology mate .

@zulu that loan car i wouldnt judge a purchase on it...
And lack of foot rest a non issue, coming from a scirocco owner with a huge foot rest. :)

·
Administrator
86,752 Posts
Driving position is ok, admittedly I'm spoilt with the 159 (it's a Ti) re seats. The G's are comfy, but need a bit more adjustment. Again, I'm sure the higher spec models will be better.

Apart from different coverings & the option to add lumbar & electrics all the seats are the same shape.

I think this is one of the biggest issues with all the recent Alfas ( Mito & Giulietta ) & Fiats ( Bravo & Punto ) as unfortunately they all seem to have fitted less supportive seats :(

For anyone coming from a 147/GT/159 which all had great seats with longer bases & more support it seems to be one of the things that gets constantly highlighted.

D

·
0 Posts
Apart from different coverings & the option to add lumbar & electrics all the seats are the same shape.
saying this though, when i was originally looking at the giuliettas, my GF sat in one in red full leather, then sat in a half leather one.. She was adamant that the leather one was more comfortable, and was more snuggly. lol

I kept saying "but their the same seats in different coverings!"

"nope the leather was better!!!"

I didnt go full leather in the end.. cos the 1500£ or so tag.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I came to the G from the Brera, had/have leather seats in both, and so far I haven't found them that unsupportive. OK, you are not gripped at the thighs or the shoulders, but is the G pitched at the real hair on fire market?? It's more in the mould of a Grand Tourer I reckon.

Having recently had 9 days of cloth seats in a loan G, my full leather ones are more comfortable/snugglier - my wife reckoned so too! :)

The interior does seem quite dark compared to my Brera, which had the panoramic roof and option blue/tan interior, and I was a little wary of the change (and would have had tan leather if had been an option on a Met Red QV), but I haven't, in practice, found it that oppressive. I can't quite pin down why, but I haven't. :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
86,752 Posts
I came to the G from the Brera, had/have leather seats in both, and so far I haven't found them that unsupportive. OK, you are not gripped at the thighs or the shoulders, but is the G pitched at the real hair on fire market??

Probably not & the same could be said of the 147/GT/159(Brera) & they had more supportive seats ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts