Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Will tires with load index 94w be sufficient on a 2010 159 sw?
The tires are Dunlop SP sport 01.
Size 225/50 r17.

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
No.
Covered in the manual.
225/50 R17 98W

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
Should be ample......
It's very simple.
Book says 98W, so 98W is what you should use, or 98Y, or (98Y).

FYI, (98Y) is a higher speed rating than 98Y...

Reactions: lussoman

·
Registered
38,691 Posts
@ Angoose, speed ratings and load ratings are different.

Construction and use regulations say that the tyres must be suitable for the use in which the vehicle is put.

That means you can get away with a lower speed rating legally if you only do certain speeds, but the load rating relates to the weight of the vehicle and the load on the tyres. You cannot use a lower one than originally specified otherwise the vehicle may become dangerous at all speeds due to the risk of tyre failure.

Also just because a car weighs for arguments sake 1000kg when laden. That doesn't mean you can get away with four tyres each with a load rating of 250Kg

The loads on tyres, especially at the front increase a lot during braking.

·
Registered
538 Posts
@ Angoose, speed ratings and load ratings are different.
I knew I should have paid more attention in physics:ermm:

Also just because a car weighs for arguments sake 1000kg when laden. That doesn't mean you can get away with four tyres each with a load rating of 250Kg

The loads on tyres, especially at the front increase a lot during braking.
Now think about this:

My Brera's dry weight is nearly 1500 kg. I would expect a 159 to be at least another 200kg. Add fluids, 5 adults and their luggage and you're looking at well over 2 tonnes.

Under heavy braking, you can be looking at 80-90% weight transfer.

Suddenly 670 kg/wheel isn't looking that generous

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
My Brera's dry weight is nearly 1500 kg. I would expect a 159 to be at least another 200kg. Add fluids, 5 adults and their luggage and you're looking at well over 2 tonnes.

Under heavy braking, you can be looking at 80-90% weight transfer.

Suddenly 670 kg/wheel isn't looking that generous
Exactly. Choosing the speed rating should be done using the "worst case" weight of the car being fully laden and then braking hard. (I don't think the 159 weights much more, if anything more, than the Brera, though.)

As has been said here - it's very simple. The manual says 94 is not enough, so that means it's not enough.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Also if you have an accident, the first thing they look at is the tyres, any excuse not to pay!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
the technically permissible mass for each axle is on the type-plate. the load index per tyre has to be higher than half the permissible mass.

fi, my G allows 1100 kg on the front axle, a 550kg load rating is legally sufficient (88 means 560kg). I'd have to run the maximum pressure for that 88 index tyre though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts