Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Possibly a stupid question but here goes.....

The wife is looking for another Alfa, ideally a 147 manual but this is proving difficult to find around here. There appear to be lots of V6 156's available for the price we want to pay. So the question is, whats a V6 like to live with? Fuel economy, servicing costs and cambelt intervals, etc. How big a difference is it from a 2.0 TS? Her usual car has just died, so we need to find one at the weekend......

·
Registered
462 Posts
Can't compare against the other models as the v6 is the only 156 I've had, but liked it enough to have bought a second one. Mine are the Q system autos so fuel consumption can be heavy, 22 to 27 mpg, but I do have a heavy right foot which doesn't help. I find it smooth, quick, well behaved in any conditions, just a nice car all round. Expect the manual ones do better on fuel tho.

Servicing and cam belts seem fine to me, just get the water pump and all idlers changed with the belt. Adds to the cost of doing the job but I like the peace of mind. No point to save a few pennies then something fails that throws you a huge bill later.

·
Registered
37,598 Posts
23mpg
Hideously expensive cam-belt change (3-4 years)
Underside may be rotting
Water pump may be problematic if plastic
Ideally needs a Q2 (more wonga)

Other than that, it's a breeze.

Oh, and by the way, @ 3,750 in third with your foot down, you won't give a stuff about any of ^^^^^ that.

G

·
0 Posts
Economy is probably the expense 23ish mpg avg the service belts etc is about the same overall as they need doing less often 60,000 v6 5years 36,000 3years on the twinspark.
V6 needs 7 ish litres for oil change but doesn't need the same amount of topping up
V6 plugs 6 £40-60 2.0 8 plugs £60- 75
Filters air oil about the same.
V6 much stronger engine longevity wise . twinspark a bit more fragile.
There is about £100-150 difference in the outlay for the belt service here at an independent .
Driving the v6 mmmm :inlove:
Busso v6 one of the best v6s you can buy. Try one you'll love it :thumbs:
Get it over 4000 and it just comes into its own
Clutch is a bit more £30-40 if you shop around but the other stuff is the same as the twinspark 156 pannels switch gear etc.
Hope that was not too bias but don't think many will disagree .

·
Registered
462 Posts
Lol so true, love how the Q doesn't change into 4th until 90+ when you hold the loud pedal to the floor, usually startles the following cars when you disappear ahead :cool: don't have time to look and see how the fuel gauge is dropping when doing that

G

·
0 Posts
23mpg
Hideously expensive cam-belt change (3-4 years)
Underside may be rotting
Water pump may be problematic if plastic
Ideally needs a Q2 (more wonga)

Other than that, it's a breeze.

Oh, and by the way, @ 3,750 in third with your foot down, you won't give a stuff about any of ^^^^^ that.
Keithy 5 years on the v6 60,000 :D

·
Registered
37,598 Posts
Ask someone else, get a different answer :)

When I first got mine 'the manual says 72k but they have changed their mind and recommend 36k'

I don't do much mileage, so I go 5 years between changes.

Actually, that's not true.

The first 156 was 6 months in when it was 'making a noise', one crappy belt change later it broke and a new engine was required.

GTA was 6 months in when the gearbox dropped out so I had the cambelt done too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Economy is probably the expense 23ish mpg avg the service belts etc is about the same overall as they need doing less often 60,000 v6 5years 36,000 3years on the twinspark.
I assume that's in miles?

I prefer the 100,000 km gap to the 60,000 km for belts!

There are a few Q system models over here but I'm reluctant to own anything but a manual. All previous Alfa's I've owned, back in Blighty were manuals. Auto's and Selespeeds send shivers down my spine!

G

·
0 Posts
You maybe right ? thought AL recommended 5years on the v6 156 Not sure on the GTA maybe needs a bit more due to power ? Could be to do with the water pumps :thumbs:

G

·
0 Posts

There are a few Q system models over here but I'm reluctant to own anything but a manual. All previous Alfa's I've owned, back in Blighty were manuals. Auto's and Selespeeds send shivers down my spine!
Yes sorry miles
I don't like selespeed personally . You would have to have a look on here but think the Q system is much more reliable than the selespeed ?
Just to be clear its the Q2or quaiffe differential they are referring to a mechanical slip diff much improving the cornering and reducing the torque steer in corners better in the wet too I believe .

·
Registered
462 Posts

The Q is a very different beast to the silly-speed, all but bulletproof is the aisin box. One of mine has 134k miles on it and still goes well. The one I run at the moment now has 27k and should be good for a long while, probably outlast the floor pan lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Q is a very different beast to the silly-speed, all but bulletproof is the aisin box. One of mine has 134k miles on it and still goes well. The one I run at the moment now has 27k and should be good for a long while, probably outlast the floor pan lol
Fortunately, we don't suffer rust issues, here!
There are 1970's and 80's cars running around with little rust, as daily drivers.....

So, a Q4 is 4WD and a Q2 is a flash LSD...correct? Gearbox type is irrelevant?

Can't remember coming across these in the UK....

G

·
0 Posts
Yes the q4 very rare all were left hand drive on the older alfas 155 164 .Now available on the new 159 etc.
The Q2 is the alfa fitted diff for the front wheel drive. There is a Quaiffe equivalent after market diff . These weren't available in the 156 but are now available as an upgrade there are some of the newer 147s with these and 159s ?
Both diffs are as good as each other they go back and forth on the price +\- .
If you find a v6 with one of these it would be the better choice if the rest of the car is up to spec. They cost £600 plus fitting .

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
In NZ the cambelt change thing is a bit of a wash - for the TS it's every 60,000km at $1200-1500, for the V6 it's every 100,000km at ~$2500. No need to worry about Q2's - virtually none available in NZ and not really needed on the 2.5 anyway as there's no torque to speak of. Different matter if you end up with a GTA however.

G

·
0 Posts
The only other thing you might want to consider is practicality.
147 is hatch with folding rear seats . 156 has neither unless you can find a sportwagon best of both.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No need to worry about Q2's - virtually none available in NZ and not really needed on the 2.5 anyway as there's no torque to speak of. Different matter if you end up with a GTA however.
I only ask as there's a 159 on Trademe at the moment, 3.2 Q4.......

The only other thing you might want to consider is practicality.
147 is hatch with folding rear seats . 156 has neither unless you can find a sportwagon best of both.
Yeh, don't worry about practicality, we've had 156's before, saloon and SW and this will only be a second car, If I need room I'll use the 4x4. Just want to put a smile back on the face when driving ;)

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
159 Q4 is a totally different beast - 3.2 V6 (based on Holden Commode engine) with 4wd. Same drivetrain available in a Brera, if you want.

·
Registered
296 Posts
My 156 V6 is amazing. The performance feels even better than the paper figures. I would be gutted if anything happened to it.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I had TS before and it was a joy to drive but my current V6 is a beast. TS was more thirsty on highway and my V6 went 0.85L per 10km when keeping an avenger of 60mph/100kmh.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts