Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Girlfriend and I are both being made reduntant by the company we work for, in fact their shutting down all UK operations. There is a chance we may be offered jobs with a rival based in Larne.

So whats the low-down on Larne? Where is good and where is best avoided?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Larne is a bit of a run down town to be honest but there are some nice coastal towns surrounding it. Ballygally is nice and right on the sea so quite picturesque. Larne is only about 15 miles from Belfast and another bonus about the town is the property prices are pretty damn cheap.
Check out Property and Houses For Sale and Rent from Northern Ireland's Largest Property Website | Propertynews.com for houses etc. I'm not from Larne myself but I know the town reasonably well so if there is anything else I can help with let me know.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
larne is a complete dive, amongst the very worst towns to live on the east coast.

as Marky has stated, there are plenty of very nice places to live nearby however.

Somewhere like Ballyclare would be a nice place to live, and a sensible distance from both Larne and Belfast.

·
Banned
1,823 Posts
larne is a complete dive, amongst the very worst towns to live on the east coast.
x2:lol:

I live directly outside Larne in a wee village called Ballycarry, much nicer imo. As for work in Larne, be very careful as most of Larnes population work in FG Wilsons and the Port of Larne which are both making staff redundant so it is very hard to get a job in the area as i am finding.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. My Girlfriend is flying into Belfast on thursday for a meeting in Larne, so she'll be able to see what is what.

·
Banned
1,823 Posts
If you do make it over, do have a look at houses down near my area/whitehead/islandmagee, its close enough to Larne without having to live with the stigma of being a Harbour Rat:cheese:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was trying to be diplomatic but it is a dump as bob said. Whitehead is nice and clean and safe etc but there's bugger all to do it apart from grow old and play golf. Carrickfergus isn't too far away but I'm not a fan of that place either. You could always just buy in somewhere like Newtownabbey which is close to Belfast but also on the right side of it to avoid any traffic issues if you are working in Larne.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll give Larne a miss then. Cheers!

Not sure if it will come to living there, as the job I'm going for means a lot of travel around all of the UK and Ireland. Its down to what they offer my Girlfriend.

If it does though, are there any decent Mountainbiking and Surfing spots near by?

·
Registered
7 Posts

as Marky has stated, there are plenty of very nice places to live nearby however.

Somewhere like Ballyclare would be a nice place to live, and a sensible distance from both Larne and Belfast.
lol yes Larne is pretty ****ty i shud know i live in the place but to suggest Ballyclare as an alternative is like like saying "dont eat at mcdonalds its bad for you, try burger king insted" :lol::lol::thumbs:

R

·
0 Posts
Is F.G.Wilsons the generator manufacturer? Very big global concern or was 4 years ago!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'll give Larne a miss then. Cheers!

Not sure if it will come to living there, as the job I'm going for means a lot of travel around all of the UK and Ireland. Its down to what they offer my Girlfriend.

If it does though, are there any decent Mountainbiking and Surfing spots near by?
Not sure about mountain biking but all the decent surfing spots are on the North Coast. It's about an hours drive from Belfast but the surf is actually pretty decent. Check out Outdoor NI - Outdoor Activities and Adventure Sports in Northern Ireland

·
Banned
1,823 Posts
lol yes Larne is pretty ****ty i shud know i live in the place but to suggest Ballyclare as an alternative is like like saying "dont eat at mcdonalds its bad for you, try burger king insted" :lol::lol::thumbs:
:cheese::cheese::cheese: Go On Da Larne Lads:thumbs:

S

·
0 Posts
You could always just buy in somewhere like Newtownabbey which is close to Belfast but also on the right side of it to avoid any traffic issues if you are working in Larne.
Move here to Newtownabbey if you aren't keen on having a social life or living in a town with any character whatsoever. If you enjoy concrete retail parks, grey housing estates, windowless bars you wouldn't dare to venture into, surrounded by identikit detached mock tudor villas, then Newtownabbey is right up your street.

Else look at some of the nicer parts of South Belfast. Though some of the nicer villages around Larne would be closer to your work.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Move here to Newtownabbey if you aren't keen on having a social life or living in a town with any character whatsoever. If you enjoy concrete retail parks, grey housing estates, windowless bars you wouldn't dare to venture into, surrounded by identikit detached mock tudor villas, then Newtownabbey is right up your street.

Else look at some of the nicer parts of South Belfast. Though some of the nicer villages around Larne would be closer to your work.
Hey, Newtownabbey isn't that bad! :(

I'm quite close to Whiteabbey village and the area I'm in is quite nice. There is a bit of history to the houses round about me and it's easy enough to get to Belfast (on bus route and beside train station plus close to M5/M2 by car) and not too far from Larne.

Like anywhere, there are bad spots but overall not a bad wee place to live.:)

S

·
0 Posts
Hey, Newtownabbey isn't that bad! :(

I'm quite close to Whiteabbey village and the area I'm in is quite nice. There is a bit of history to the houses round about me and it's easy enough to get to Belfast (on bus route and beside train station plus close to M5/M2 by car) and not too far from Larne.

Like anywhere, there are bad spots but overall not a bad wee place to live.:)
I live in the place myself but on one of the concrete estates, so maybe my view of the area is probably somewhat tainted.

Whiteabbey village is nice I grant you, one of the original villages that make up the town, so the place has a bit of character, the houses are nice and original. I remember the old "Coca Cola" painted advert on the end house on the terrace beside the DIY shop. Bureau bar there quite nice, it is about the only place in town I would have a pint.

I think I was in a bit of a cynical mood last night. I lived in Livingston once which was a worse implementation of the "New Towns" experiment.
Just seems a better place to settle in, than live in in your mid 20s, if you know what I mean. Hopefully moving to Belfast soon anyhow so I'll stop my moaning :p.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts