Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after my last episode of no car for three weeks with electrical problems I decided to take Metal God's advice and bought myself an engine examiner (just a cheap one).
Unfortunately, I've had the opportunity to use it far sooner than I had hoped. Double unfortunately, I am like a toddler who has been given his mother's i-phone to play with, pressing lots of buttons with not a clue why.
Anyway, the error code that has come up is the non explicit "manufacturer control".
I presume it is not recommended to delete this error code and just make yet another trip to the dealers.

·
Premium Member
2,928 Posts
What's is the code number. There should a number usually starting with P0 something.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
GVblue, what did you buy? I would recommend MES software, elm interface and a pack of leads, the generic scanners can be extremely cheap but for about £75 you can get your laptop to tell you exactly what is wrong. IF what you have can clear the code I would and see if it comes back, sometimes they clear and don't come back and you've probably save at least £50 by not going to the dealers! Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MG - I really don't recall seeing any code numbers, just "manufacturer control" at which point I just thought "oh bugger".

Isotope, I bought a Foseal FO-01, cost about £30. I don't want to spend any more as I bought my Giulia to drive, not as an IT project, plus, when the car threw up all the engine warnings about a month ago, even the dealer's examiner would not diagnose the problem. Not to mention, I could well do more harm than good with all that kit.

The engine light came on as I was going out earlier this afternoon. It kicked in about a hundred yards from home so I abandoned that journey. I cleared it earlier and have been a fifteen mile journey since and it hasn't returned, yet.

Still a year on the warranty so if whatever it was returns it will be back to the dealer.

Reactions: cue2

·
Registered
382 Posts
I was going to suggest making a note of the exact code if there was one, then reset it. If it is still there it will come back on but it sounds like you have tried this already.

·
Premium Member
2,928 Posts
If it a hard error, you will not be able to clear it. If intermittent, you can clear ( as you have done) but it may return after a few drive cycles. Just drive normally and monitor.

If the Alfa dealer with Witech2 could not diagnose the error, they can ask Italy technical for help. If they did not, they need to go back to school.

Some generic code standalone code readers may not have all the manufacturer codes in their database. The cheapest and simplest tool would be Torque Pro app for Android phone with a ELM327 bluetooth reader off Amazon. Torque is internet connected so has a bigger database of codes.

I would say just enjoy driving and let us know if it happens again.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CEL just activated again.
Didn't panic this time MG so I managed to note the code.
P2BC1 (manufacturer control)
Be useful to have some idea what it might be when I ring Beechdale tomorrow.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just googled P2BC1 and it comes up with "air cooler pump stuck or stalled". If that's the case I suppose it's better than an un-diagnosable electrical fault like the one my Giulia was struck down with at the beginning of June.

·
Premium Member
2,928 Posts
I have had P2BC1 before. It is the Low Temperature Coolant pump that runs the intercooler and the turbo water cooling. It could be fixed with a software update ( dealer visit unfortunately) or if the 3 way thermostat or the pump itself is intermittently faulty they may need a replacement. My suspicion is a software update or 3 way valve.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks MG.

How do dealers react if you tell them you have read the error code? Or is it best just to plead ignorance?

·
Premium Member
2,928 Posts
Hi @GVblue . You have every right to read your own codes..I always read my codes and gave them to the service advisor along with a copy of any relevant Technical Service Bulletins (I cannot see any specific TSB for your code) that refer to the error code and they have never made any issue out of it, quite the opposite. You should tell them this had happened twice and the error code is P2BC1. The ECM stores the codes for a few drive cycles even if it is not currently active.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I had the same code appeared over lock down, I cleared it with my multiscan but it was saying that the fault was still present and sure enough the next time I took it out it the warning came on again.
I did notice that the electric water pump didnt seem to be running after the engine was switched off but before I could investigate further the warning cleared its self and the dna switch was working again, they default and stay in N if a fault is present.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys.
JON156, I think I can still hear the electric water pump spinning on mine after switching off the engine, I didn't notice if the DNA was working but whatever, as MG says, it looks like a trip to the dealers.

·
Premium Member
2,928 Posts
If you have standing CEL on the dash DNA will always default to N. If the CEL flashes DO NOT DRIVE, flashing CEL is usually indication of a faulty or overheated catalytic converter. This one though is LT coolant flow related. There is a 3 way valve that controls whether the coolant flows to the water to air intercooler or loops back to the radiator, if this sticks in one position the P2BC1 code can flag up. Also, the LT (Low Temperature Electric) Pump is controlled on/off as well as pump speed by the ECU depending on engine load and charge air cooling required. This is what the software update would change if that is deemed the fix. With this error code I would do the following but continue to drive the car normally (not overload the engine).

1. After each drive allow the car to idle for a minute before shutting off engine. This will allow the turbo oil circulation alone to cool the turbo bearings incase the electric coolant pump is not circulating.

2. Do not drive at engine high revs for too long. If you leave the car in N or A mode in Automatic, that will be taken care of by the gearbox. If the CEL is standing it will be stuck in N mode anyway.

Let me know what they say in terms of diagnosis or fix.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks MG. My car goes into Beechdale this coming Friday. They are only 11 miles away on slow A & B roads so I can just tootle down there. It will stay on the drive till then.
The CEL is not flashing.
Will update you with developments.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I've got mine booked it with LC in Newport to look at this next week, The fella seemed familiar with the issue and hopefully its just an ecu update, Its been fine for a few months but I'm going to Cornwall in a few weeks so its sods law it will play up when I'm on Holiday.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Let me know what they say in terms of diagnosis or fix.
I took my Giulia in this morning, it has been sorted and apparently it just needed a software update. Haven't retrieved it yet though, so time will tell.

Just a general question for anyone reading this post. I've just had the second year service on my Giulia which cost £480, when is the next big (expensive) one?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts