Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate councils. I live in a flat in a listed building. It's not a nice building, it's covered in pigeon **** and there is a New Look shop on the ground floor.

I have made initial enquiries to the council into changing the rotting sash windows with a UPVC version that looks the same(ish). They do at least look nicer than the double glazing found on the flats opposite and down the street.

The building was listed in 1976...but they don't know why. They say that New Look was allowed to put it's sign up because it was done in such a way that it is "in keeping" with the building...it's the same as any other New Look sign in any other town.

Has anyone else here had fun with changing windows on a listed building?

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Can you use the "listed" bit to try and get a grant for like-for-like replacements?

My ex-wife's house is listed, and her British Gas supplied/maintained boiler gave up the ghost last winter. None of the existing BG range of replacement boilers were allowed to be installed because they needed a balanced flue (or something) so BG had to provide a bespoke boiler and as a result she got a grant from the local council (West Sussex) for 100% of the cost of the replacement.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fred, that's definately something to look into. I'm also going to look at taking the "energy efficiency"/Green route. e.g. I'm burning coal to stop freezing so lets save the planet and put nice windows in.

N

·
0 Posts
New Look.

:lol:

The grant move does seem to be the best idea.
I can't see how they can justify the signage on
a "listed" building. What type of listing is it?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
We are in a Grade II listed barn conversion and can't alter the outside appearance of the property.

When our next door neighbour moved in a few years ago they tried to get permission for a conservatory:cheese:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts