Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Who the hell designed the gear lever mechanism? Why underneath?????
Someone into s&m that's who. Skinned knuckles, sheared bolts, hilarious rusty cack in eye moments, followed by 25 minutes of figuring out how to disconnect the cable ends and retaining clips!!

#2...

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
2. Sidelights on the GT.

3. Airbox on the 1.9 JTDm.

4. Swirl flaps on all the JTDs.

5. Upper wishbones.

6. Non-serviceable ball-joints.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
7. Thermostat that costs a fortune to replace

8. Boot that opens from the inside only (147) if your fob doesnt work.

9. Front indicators the no one can see

10. Anti roll bar bushes that require a sub frame to be dropped to service

11. Cup holders that are placed in front of the stereo so you can't change stations

12. Coin holder / card holder - pointless

13. Cruise control stalk in an awkward position

14. Wiper mechanisms made from cheese.

15. Bonnet catch saftey mech useless

16. Connet cable that clearly didnt change length with rhd cars

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
17. Alternator located just south of Hades

18. Swirl flaps (again - they're an automotive Mills bomb)

19. An undertray that reduces ground clearance to 80% of the average speed hump

20. QD door handles

21. Jacking points where nobody would expect them

·
Registered
883 Posts
22. A gear knob glue so tight even thor could not remove

23. 147 oem suspension so high it could be classed as 4x4

24. Stupid fuse in engine bay which is all way in the way

25. 147 glove box so small it's worthless

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
8. Boot that opens from the inside only (147) if your fob doesnt work.
The result of a cost-cutting exercise. If I remember correctly the boot on my first 147, an 02-reg, could be opened from the outside using the key, my second, an 05, couldn't

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
V6 ones to add to the list.

#28 - The rear bank manifold. Gigantic CAT in tiny space

#29 - The rear bank manifold Lambda . Rigid cable and no space to remove it. Whole manifold has to come out!

#30 - The rear bank Manifold Heatsheild. Takes up what little space remains behind the engine and because the lambda goes through it can't be fitted with the manifold in situ

#31 - The starter motor bolts and cable bracket. Have to remove the manifold to access the 3rd bolt and the bracket is near impossible to relocate when removed.

#32 - The rear engine mount. The top bolt is super tight so needs a socket and a breaker but the rear bank manifold needs to be removed to give clearance to the bolt head.

#33 - The oil filter.....

#34 - Super fragile airbox lid.

#35 ...

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
#35 The small solid brake pipe between the flexible hose and Brembo front brake callipers. Makes getting the calliper off the car a real pain (broke one of these pipes yesterday removing the callipers for painting - grrr!!).

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
#35 The small solid brake pipe between the flexible hose and Brembo front brake callipers. Makes getting the calliper off the car a real pain (broke one of these pipes yesterday removing the callipers for painting - grrr!!).
Yes, this. And they keep leaking too!

·
Registered
36,779 Posts
Interesting these engineering solutions are described as design but it's a small "d" rather than Design who made the thing look desirable in the first place. The design engineers just had to find a cheap way of making it look like that , sometimes considering the need for it to be maintained!

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Well the looks of a car sells it. Most people will not be gear heads. So base a car on how it looks.

We alfa owners are definitely a bit more subjective to asthetics over function.

#37 no cup holders at all! Italians... I thiught they loved coffee.
Saying that having observed Italians they just stop in the road get out and have a coffee. No matter what the traffic is like.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
37. 2 or 4 post lift required for all basic maintenance, but isn't supplied in the toolkit

38. Exhaust flexi pipe that is welded to the system rather than merely clamped and replaceable

39. Water soluble suspension and subframe bolts

40. F*ing Clic clips

·
Registered
36,779 Posts
Well the looks of a car sells it. Most people will not be gear heads. So base a car on how it looks.

We alfa owners are definitely a bit more subjective to asthetics over function.

#37 no cup holders at all! Italians... I thiught they loved coffee.
Saying that having observed Italians they just stop in the road get out and have a coffee. No matter what the traffic is like.
My 147 had cup-holders. 2008 Q2 Sport. Hateful things as we all know you wait till you get to a nice place for coffee.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
42. Having to deliberately sacrifice an interior trim piece on the door pull of the 147/GT if you wish to remove the door card.
43. Factory standard diffs on the V6 models (that'll open up a can of worms).
44. Having to remove the front bumper to take the headlights out (well ahead of it's time with this one!).
45. Having to remove 'far too much' to access the rear bank plugs on a V6.
46. The requirement to remove the intake trunking, battery and battery tray to simply dribble a spoonfull of oil down the clutch fork actuating shaft on V6's and JTD's....

·
Registered
393 Posts
Whenever I have a new passenger traveling in my 159 and smirkingly pointing out that I don't have any cupholders (yes, the one in the armrest is useless whenever you use the 12V output), I just stare at them for a few seconds and say in a sarcastic voice: "when is the last time you saw an Italian drinking coffee and driving at the same time? We're not in the US here" and smile at the same time - usually they say "that's a good point" and just shut up.

If I wanted to have a gigantic starbucks while driving, I would've bought a Vauxhall. :devious:

P.s. I don't even drink coffee at all:paperbag:

1 - 20 of 78 Posts