Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm 170, a few times last year I experienced the car going into limp mode, no lights on dash and after a turn off and turn on its fine.

Today the Mrs drove the car to Amesbury and on the way back going up the hill in Malmesbusy it went into limp mode again. Luckily she was savvy enough to switch it off an on again and all was well.

I plugged in and read the fault codes and got P010F.

The car has always IMO been slow, so I unplugged the MAF and took the car for a spin. It seemed a lot more lively and it had some acceleration for sure. I stopped, plugged the MAF back in and sure enough I was back to the normal lack of performance.

doing some searches on here it seems the EGR could be a culprit for that error code, but with my MAF testing surely it points to a duff MAF sensor?

Anyone confirm?

If so like a lot of cars is it best to stick with OEM MAF?

Mine is the 2.0 JTDm which arn't supposed to suffer from EGR & DPF issues...

TIA,

Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
38,679 Posts
I would say that it does suggest a MAF fault.

It might be worth taking it off and giving it a clean. The intake on these engines can get a small amount of oil inside and if it gets on the MAF element it can cause poor running.

Spraying carb cleaner through should do the trick, but don't poke inside with a cotton bud etc because you will break it.

S

·
0 Posts
solved?

I have an Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm 170, a few times last year I experienced the car going into limp mode, no lights on dash and after a turn off and turn on its fine.

Today the Mrs drove the car to Amesbury and on the way back going up the hill in Malmesbusy it went into limp mode again. Luckily she was savvy enough to switch it off an on again and all was well.

I plugged in and read the fault codes and got P010F.

The car has always IMO been slow, so I unplugged the MAF and took the car for a spin. It seemed a lot more lively and it had some acceleration for sure. I stopped, plugged the MAF back in and sure enough I was back to the normal lack of performance.

doing some searches on here it seems the EGR could be a culprit for that error code, but with my MAF testing surely it points to a duff MAF sensor?

Anyone confirm?

If so like a lot of cars is it best to stick with OEM MAF?

Mine is the 2.0 JTDm which arn't supposed to suffer from EGR & DPF issues...

TIA,

Mark
Hi, Same problem with my 2.0 Ti - problem solved - I recently had problems with my Ti 2.0 159, changed the MAF and MAP sensors (good price direct from Germany) and cleaned the turbo, with oven cleaner spray of all things! Car used to loose power on WOT and uphill at times. Problem was solved with the turbo clean mostly but ran better after the MAF and MAP change. To clean the turbo = Raise on stands, drop belly panel, disconnect front exhaust pipe to turbo (need to remove the aluminium shields also), then disconnect the lower end of the front pipe to allow you to move the exhaust pipe away from the turbo. The clamp at the turbo is a bit awkward but ir can be prised out of the way. Then spray in some oven cleaner (mr muscle) - use lots of rags, protect aluminium and other bits - I used lots of rags and wore gloves - also had a pipe attached to the can so that I could get the pipe into the exhaust side of the turbo. Let it stand for about an hour, Wiggle the wastegate valve (used a blade of screwdriver to press down repeatedly as it sprung up, just to ensure it was free. (even disconnected it to check it and it was loose and free to move - excellent. Then reconnected to lever to the wastegate rod (don't drop the circlip!). reconnected everything in reverse, started it up and went for a few miles drive. I've not had a problem since - Job done !
Also see pic if you want closer look at turbo - by the way - I fitted OEM Bosch MAF and MAP direct from Germany - less than half price - will send web site if required..

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts