Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! I recently bought a 2008 159 sw 2.4jtdm with automatic gearbox. I know it has a hole in the intake manifold and the timing belt needs replacement. I was planing to fix the car in a few weeks time, so far the guys in the garage said I could drive around a bit.

I got this new problem when the engine won’t rev higher than 2k and the gearbox won’t switch above the 3rd gear. No error codes at all. I have read on this forum it could be MAF sensor, so I disabled it to see if the problem will go away, it didn’t.

The first few times the problem occurred when I was driving into the city after a highway, but now it is constantly in this mode.

So I will probably just wait when I can give the car to mechanics to fix everything, but I am worried it could be something else besides the hole in the intake manifold that is causing this limp mode.

I found this forum very helpful lately, and was hoping somebody had the same issue and knows the solution. 🙏

· Registered
1,496 Posts
I know it has a hole in the intake manifold
If it has a hole in the actual intake manifold it won't like it at all and could very much be the issue, but for the car to go into normal "limp home mode" usually involves a warning light/message somewhere.

Or do you mean it has a hole in one of the intake pipes/hoses?

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has holes from where the swirl flaps used to be, 2 are missing. I just left the car for repairs. The mechanic said if the flaps would get ingested into the engine I would hear the noise and the engine would stop working. He is going to delete the rest of the flaps and put some covers on the holes.

So I have a question is it possible that those flaps didn’t just fell off and are stuck somewhere inside the engine and after all the repairs it would get deeper into the engine and will cause failure? Is there a way to check that before doing all the work on the engine?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts