Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

This has happened before, early in the morning or when I haven't driven in a while, I can depress the clutch pedal almost to the floor, it is very limp and only right before I touch the floor does it give some resistance and I can put the Alfa in gear. This however improves as the car gets up to temperature and once it is, the pedal is fully functional again. The slave cylinder was changed a couple of months ago, so if either master or slave were leaking or loosing pressure, why does the pedal come up again when the engine is warm?

This has now progressively become worse, I fear one morning on the way to work I won't be able to put it in gear

·
Registered
186 Posts
My V6 has a similar problem. Every 3 months or so I bleed the clutch and rejoice in the feel of a nice firm pedal. The joy gradually diminishes however until I'm forced to do another clutch bleed. It seems likely that air is getting in the lines somewhere but there is absolutely no sign of any fluid leak from either the cylinders or the pipework and the fluid level remains constant.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This morning again, just worse, almost didn't get 1st gear in. Now at work, car nice and warmed up, nice firm pedal.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Probably master cylinder pressure seal is worn/hardened with age. Improves as it warms up because the seal becomes more elastic as the cylinder warms so seals better. Bleeding may help as the fresh fluid revitalises the seal to an extent.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah I will bleed the clutch tomorrow, liquid is nice golden brown still, so maybe air in the system but I think it is the master seal though like you said...:(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts