Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, 166 #3 has Xenon headlamps and the adjustment sensors which must be on the car body seem to be unwell, is this an easy fix?

Also the light colours perplex me, the fog lights and the full bean lights are a warm light (halogen?) yet the dipped and side lights are this bright stark light. Is it possible the previous owner has fitted something non std or are they always that different? Can I standardise on one type of "light warmth" or am I just being too picky?

Paul

·
Registered
945 Posts
sounds typical Paul - the Xenons are cool white whereas main bean etc are all halogen bulbs

Re the Xenons - I would recommend swapping to Osram Nightbreakers - they really do make a difference allowing you to see more than 10 feet in front.....

Sides may have been changed to LED....

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
sounds typical Paul - the Xenons are cool white whereas main bean etc are all halogen bulbs

Re the Xenons - I would recommend swapping to Osram Nightbreakers - they really do make a difference allowing you to see more than 10 feet in front.....

Sides may have been changed to LED....
+1 on the Osrams. Fitted them on my 159. Cool white with more lux. Definite improvement on stock if searching for more intensity (159 lights are crap), these are the way to go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
+1 on the Osrams. Fitted them on my 159. Cool white with more lux. Definite improvement on stock if searching for more intensity (159 lights are crap), these are the way to go.
Sounds like I ought to go for these - do you mean "OSRAM XENARC NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED"? They don't come cheap!! are they one size fits all?
...but before I do a bigger problem is my 166's headlight glass is cloudy (not misty or wet) on the inside. How on earth to get in there to clean?

·
Registered
945 Posts
that rings a bell - have then mentioned on my sway story board

My Alfa 166 Story

£50 from powerbulbs but much better than the £40 ones I got from local motor factors

·
Registered
945 Posts
Like the site, I think the power suspension brackets on mine are tired, what am I looking at cost wise?
Part 60653435 (right hand side)
and
Part 60653436 (left hand side)

IIRC - I think they were £56 or somewhere around there for the pair. I could be wrong but they are a dealer only part apparently. Got my from Western Alfa.

Very easy job to replace - if you have a breaker bar / torque wrench for the extra leverage.

The replacements have had a good 3 coats of Bilthamber Dynax -UC before being fitted - then a good coating of Dynax S50. Arguably over kill - but shouldn't need to replace these again :D

Reactions: abecketts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found some "additional wiring" on one of of the lights, seems a previous owner fitted an aftermarket xenon kit and the sensor for levelling is broken, a trip to a good Alfa indie me thinks is needed

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Sounds like I ought to go for these - do you mean "OSRAM XENARC NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED"? They don't come cheap!! are they one size fits all?
...but before I do a bigger problem is my 166's headlight glass is cloudy (not misty or wet) on the inside. How on earth to get in there to clean?
Yes, those are the lamps. I tried all sorts before them but none came even close to the brightness. The 159 has poor optics (design over function) so I think the 166 should give even better results.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The after market xenon headlamp has given up the ghost, have ordered a replacement genuine unit and when I get 5 i'll got over to Bristol so I can get the head light adjusters sorted and the lights won't spend there time looking at the floor.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My light units are smilarly cloudy - I havent looked at removing them yet but when I do I guess something like curtain wire with rag wrapped tightly round the end and some glass cleaner might work..?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New left hand replacement headlight unit arrived today, must be a bit naive to think I could just swap them over, front bumper comes off of Friday, should be 4 hours of fun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts