Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my Cup to work this evening in the torrential rain and standing water as my Land Rover has an issue......
It managed the standing water the fans worked well to keep the demisters going and the electrics and wipers coped manfully. I was pleased at the way it coped. All but the headlights. First time I’ve driven it in rally inclement Weather and in proper dark country roads. They are terrible. Bulbs ok just terrible. Main beam fine. Dipped abysmal. Is this a feature of the GTV?
What’s a good bulb to fit in them please? The ones in it have to go.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I have tried HiDs and LEDs (on a private road obviously) and while they light up the road better than standard bulbs, the light is very white and artificial (which probably doesn’t make sense) and I just didn’t like them. I’ve gone back to normal bulbs and now use Nightbreakers in my GTV and Spider. Best I’ve found so far but still not brilliant.

Getting my eyes tested and finding out I need glasses to drive also helped.

·
Registered
12,899 Posts
When I had my Gtv about 800 years ago, I used the extra bright range (made by Philips, I think), from Halfords. They helped.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
I agree with Nelly; Night breakers are an improvement but still not as good as more modern cars especially in wet weather. I guess this is also a result of shining the headlight through a porthole!

Sent from my SHT-W09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
HIDs are the way to go, I find them brilliant. Pair them with a pair of standard 100watts in the main beam and everything is dandy.

·
Registered
29,994 Posts
Has anyone ever looked into fitting new projector units into the GTV lights?

I did it to my TT last year and the difference going from 15-year old projectors to new was literally night and day.
They were D2S HID before, so it wasn't a change from Halogen to HID.
The old projectors had lost the reflective coating on the reflector at the back of the projector, so there was very little light coming out the front.
The new ones are also Bi-Xenon, so work as an additional main beam too.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I know HID S are better but they will be a job I know nothing about.
HIDs are easy to fit... the bulb bit goes in the same as normal ones and there is a small ‘ballast’ unit which is about the size of a fag packet which will need securing with a tie wrap or a couple of self tapping screws. The original wiring plugs into the ballast and the ballast plugs into the bulb.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you go down the HID route you may need an understanding MOT inspector. Or swap them out at MOT time.

In conventional reflector lights I've had better results with 100W bulbs than with HIDs. MOT caveat still applies of course.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My daughters Alfa Guilietta Cloverleaf had them fitted and the MOT station failed it. Removed the units back to standard to pass. She has them in her garage still. Might be worth a punt sticking them in the GTV.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Do they pass the MOT?
My GTV passed a couple of MOTs with HIDs fitted but that was before the new MOT came in to force and I think the new test is more stringent on things like that. Swapping them over is easy enough and if the ballasts are under the engine bay covers out of sight they can be left where they are for the MOT.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Had similar drive recently and was a stark reminder how limited the GTV's candles are. Ive always used nightbreakers they are better but still need the full beam most of the time.

Ive had HID's for awhile too.. they werent much better than the nightbreakers to my eyes.

I remember watching a short Singer feature Chris Harris did, They talked about how the headlights were converted to a bi-xenon projector used in Lemans cars made by Hella... I want those for a GTV please !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Headlight-Headlamp-90mm-BI-XENON-Module-12v-HELLA-1LL-008-934-011/183758517009?epid=1242993051&hash=item2ac8dc7311:g:EVwAAOSwNuxXYoMI may have been these..

·
Registered
29,994 Posts
For England, Scotland and Wales the MOT isn’t an issue.
Lack of self-levelling or washers won’t matter.
NI is a different matter....

I’m surprised nobody has looked into new projectors though.
Your old ones will be well below par by now.

I’ve never taken a GTV headlight apart (or even looked in the back of one) but projectors are usually a separate screw-in part. So shouldn’t be too difficult to upgrade to something FAR superior. New projectors would be like having a new car. They make driving at night enjoyable again. :D

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Even with all the ballast/wiring hidden it should be pretty obvious you have hids fitted as soon as the lights are turned on, from the way they start up.That said,i've had mine in both cars for several yrs and its never been mentioned at MOT time,he's more interested in the annual handbrake crap-shoot ,i think they have a sweepstake

1 - 20 of 25 Posts