Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I am driving my 98 Spider to Italy in a couple of weeks how do I mask the lights, do I use the usual stickers and do both head and dip need them?

·
Registered
59 Posts
The lights on RHD examples have a "canal" lever. It moves a metal plate in front of the reflector of the dimmed beam (if I remember correctly.) Look for a galvanised metal lever behind the plastic cover at the rear of the units. You can just touch it with the tips of your fingers, if I remember correctly.

Andricus

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I will have a look:)

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,322 Posts
The lights on RHD examples have a "canal" lever. It moves a metal plate in front of the reflector of the dimmed beam (if I remember correctly.) Look for a galvanised metal lever behind the plastic cover at the rear of the units. You can just touch it with the tips of your fingers, if I remember correctly.

Andricus
:thumbs: You learn something new every day, glad I came across this !

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Once the covers have been removed to expose the back of the bulb the lever is moved as though it is 'orbiting' the bulb; it will move less than 1/4 of a rotation. It is rather flimsy and does not feel that robust or positive in action.

D

·
0 Posts
just curious about what mileage you have on the car, i am driving to my uncles in spain but obviously reliability springs to mind.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
As long as you've checked the obvious why should there be a problem? I've used my 30 year old BMW R100s and my 33, 150 000 miles so far, to tour europe. Get some breakdown cover and more than likely you will not need it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just curious about what mileage you have on the car, i am driving to my uncles in spain but obviously reliability springs to mind.
34,000 she's still almost brand new :) I was going to go in my series 3 that has 45,000 on it but breakdown cover on a 25 yr old car is difficult.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Can anyone who knows where this lever is be more specific or get a picture? I searched for it but couldnt find anything

Thanks

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK found mine, you don't have to remove the cover, when you lift the bonnet there is a small galvanised lever on top of the light unit about an inch long and it goes down behind the light unit. It slides sideways about half an inch.
NB. It is so incongruous you have to look for it, it looks like a clip.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I have had a look and what I thought was the lever didnt do anything, so im wondering if I have the right thing...In the picture below, is it the bit in the red circle above the light?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes thats it, did it move sideways. It should move a small metal shield across inside the light to blank the sideways part of the beam.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I have had a look and what I thought was the lever didnt do anything, so im wondering if I have the right thing...In the picture below, is it the bit in the red circle above the light?

No that's not it. The tab/lever is behind the lamp and to access it you'll have to remove the shrouds as though you are going to replace a bulb. Instead of removing bulb what you'll then do is find, by feel, a thin metal tab that will move in a small arc, as it does so it will move a shutter within the lamp so cutting off the beam partially. Make sure you're doing it on the dipped and not the main lamp; an easy mistake to make!

D

·
0 Posts
this is my first alfa so i am not sure on what sort of mileage these engines can do, mine has a fsh.

J

·
0 Posts
Limey do it! i did it in mine with no service history and 110thousand on the clock! best time ever!but maybe buy AA Europe Breakdown! Good luck with your journey CT1.....dont forget to fill up in the uk...alot cheaper!

D

·
0 Posts
hi joey yep gonna do it, i have rac breakdown for europe, polybushes b4 i go, i have a slight knock, then off i go, my son was going to come with me but he is going into the marines in july so i shall be doing it on my own.

J

·
0 Posts
Brilliant! i did mine on my own,very good fun and you can go at your own pace,you wont get bored either!
One thing on the Rac,i did so many comparisons before i left and i chose AA as they give you the cars worth if it is unmendable or they tow your home to england...When i checked Rac they only offered road side repairs,no tow home.Not sure if there are different levels for rac but i know aa only do one and thats the fully comp thing.Just thought id mention it!
I actually found an amazing deal that was 59pounds a year including europe and uk breakdown.it was the full package like home start,relay,europe relay,everything! couldnt believ how cheap it was,ill check to see if i can get the link,but if not its on Martins money saving tips,google it!

J

·
0 Posts
this is my first alfa so i am not sure on what sort of mileage these engines can do, mine has a fsh.
My 2.0 TS Spider has 132,000 on it and i would happily jump in it and drive it all the way through France without any worries....

So long as the car is up together mechanically there is no reason why it should not make it, the TS engine is a very robust unit and will take a lot of punishment so long as it is looked after and the oil levels are kept above minimum

1 - 20 of 23 Posts