Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just had a prototype of the Lightning GT at work, my word is it a stunning car inside and out. Its very impressive technology.

Battery powered. 0-60 in 5 secs, 130mph top speed (sufficient), 10mins to recharge, 180 mile range. The noise could be the only issue, hope it doesnt sound like a milkfloat. It seems the UK motor industry still has a lot to offer. Any opinions on it?

Website
Welcome to Lightning Car Company - The UK's Premier Electric Sports Car

Photo
http://images.paultan.org/images/Lightning_GT_1_Large.jpg

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I work for the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT), basically the UK society for the motor industry. Most recent big thing we did was worked with government on the scrappage scheme...

Doesnt seem much interest in this car...

B

·
0 Posts
Lots of interest from me. I love this technology, and hope and expect that it'll be the future for the industry. I'm following the Tesla Model S with lots of interest, and the Ecotricity car (The Wind Car ? Episode 9 of 6 | Transport | Zerocarbonista) as well.

For me, the Lightning is a touch conservative, but better to have that than no innovation at all. Hope it's a success.

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Looks a :cool: car!

D

·
0 Posts
Most recent big thing we did was worked with government on the scrappage scheme...
Thanks, :rolleyes:

:lol:

The car looks great, the 0-60 is decent, top speed is rather lame, but how much is it gonna cost when it hits shops and will there be anywhere to fill it up?

I have a feeling the answers to those questions are '£170,000' and 'We are still working on that.', :lol:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, :rolleyes:

:lol:
I know not everyone appreciates it but it has its benefits.

The car looks great, the 0-60 is decent, top speed is rather lame, but how much is it gonna cost when it hits shops and will there be anywhere to fill it up?

I have a feeling the answers to those questions are '£170,000' and 'We are still working on that.', :lol:

Oh yea I forgot to put the price. Base model is £120k, and goes up to £140k. Not silly money when you look at the Tesla.

130mph top speed is enough I think, who actually drives faster than that...

Not sure about the filling up...

H

·
0 Posts
Another interesting, decent enough looking concept that totally misses the point.

We need alternative fuel cars that are actually practical. That means Mondeo sized, 4 doors, big boot. Or at least a Fiesta sized hatchback. And (here's the really important bit) they've got to be competitively priced.

ASslong as we're seeing 2 seat electric sports cars that cost £100k+ the public will always say 'Meh' :rolleyes:

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
Actually, we need more renewable energy for this type of car to be environmentally friendly.

D

·
0 Posts
Base model is £120k, and goes up to £140k. Not silly money when you look at the Tesla.

130mph top speed is enough I think, who actually drives faster than that...
That's a ridiculously high price for a car that you can't fill up anywhere and is slow. I mean, do you know how long you'd have to wait before you benefited from the fact it runs on 'Alternative fuel' after whacking out £120K.

You might as well buy a chipped late 90's BMW 540i for about £3000 which does 0-60 in about 5.5 seconds and has a top speed of 155MPH+. The fact it produces about 15MPG would be beside the point, :lol:

J

·
0 Posts
i like the look of it....

Aston Martin from the front, Marcos from the side and a bit of Lotus from the back....

its nice that people are now starting to design electric cars that look like cars instead of these upturned eggboxes

·
Registered
65 Posts
well the point thats been missed is that its nearly always the sports models that raise awareness , why are Alfa famous? sporting pedigree thats why

new technology will work its way to family cars, this weekend was one of the blue riband events Le Mans , developments in Diesel Technology, headlamps, even back to Jaguar and the disc brake.

the thing with the Tesla is it needs to keep its batteries cooled whereas the GT it appears doesn't, when they can get the numbers right to build family cars to the family budget then we'll see family cars powered by other than oil products, mind you somewhere at the end of the wire is a power station powered by I wonder what?

D

·
0 Posts
Until we can run cars off of human waste there is no such thing as economically friendly running a car, whatever we use has its downsides, same with electric cars, same with petrol cars, same with diesel cars, same with anything really.

N

·
0 Posts
.... that's why 'leccy cars make sense over here:

76 % Luvverly Nuclear
12.5% Hydroelectric
1% Photovoltaic/Wind
10.5% Coal/Gas/Oil

With the gouv.fr pushing to replace the fossil fuels within the next
5-10 year, by passing laws forcing EDF to obtain 15% of capacity
from renewables, France is already a place where 'leccy cars should
be being deployed. ;)

H

·
0 Posts
You might as well buy a chipped late 90's BMW 540i for about £3000 which does 0-60 in about 5.5 seconds and has a top speed of 155MPH+.
How much time does anyone actually spend using their 0-60 performance, or driving at 130mph+?

I for one never do either, not any more*

*although I now have 6 points on my licence and i'm desparately trying to get it clean again, so that possibly has something to do with it.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well the point thats been missed is that its nearly always the sports models that raise awareness , why are Alfa famous? sporting pedigree thats why

new technology will work its way to family cars, this weekend was one of the blue riband events Le Mans , developments in Diesel Technology, headlamps, even back to Jaguar and the disc brake.
You beat me to it!

HSTdriver, its these cars that start the trend and it filters down the car market.

How much time does anyone actually spend using their 0-60 performance, or driving at 130mph+?
I agree

D

·
0 Posts

I for one never do either, not any more*

*although I now have 6 points on my licence and i'm desparately trying to get it clean again, so that possibly has something to do with it.
HST, If I'm spending £100,000+ on a car I want that bloody thing to shift, :lol:

H

·
0 Posts
HST, If I'm spending £100,000+ on a car I want that bloody thing to shift, :lol:
Then you'd best spend it on a part share of an aeroplane then, because every time I venture out I end up crawling in traffic at <10mph :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts