Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my Quadrifoglio, I can't turn the switch to the three o'clock position although there is a symbol there.

What does it do? I couldn't find anything in the (as I'm increasingly discovering) pretty useless driver's guide ... :rofl:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
It's normal.
It doesn't do anything.
It's there to add visual confusion.
It's an Alfista test for ownership.
It's ultimately Italian.

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
Is it the fog light ?
That would be the large round button in the middle of the dial.
To be more specific that round button is for the rear fog lights. There are no front fogs if you have either 25w or 35w Xenon. If you have basic halogen lamps then the round button is split into two for front and rear fogs.

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
I thought it was parking lights.

I've tried to use it on a couple of occasions without success.
The position at 11 o'clock is parking lights.
Warning about Parking lights. Once while on the phone with car parked, I was fiddling with the light switch and I accidentally turned it to the parking light position. It's spring loaded so will return to the normal headlight position. After the call I got out and locked the car heard the beep and was on my way. When I returned a few hours later, the battery was flat as a pancake!
The ignition was definitely off and no phantom radio button issues either. It seem if you turn parking light on you have to manually turn it off else it stays on even though you can lock the car.

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
It seem if you turn parking light on you have to manually turn it off else it stays on even though you can lock the car.

Isn't that the whole point of it, that you can lock the car and leave lights on?
Yes. Don't think I made my point clearly. I was just highlighting that if you twist the switch accidentally and as it springs back, you may not realise the parking lights (DRLs) are on indefinitely until the battery runs out.

Having said that I don't see the point of Parking lights! Never used it ever. Hazards yes, parking no!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I tried to use them when I foolishly ran out of petrol on a motorway a while back. Exiting the car on the passenger side left both me and the car confused as to what should switch off and what should remain on. I wanted to leave lights and hazards going but the car had other thoughts because I used the wrong door. Maybe there is a procedure but it wasn't obvious...

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
I tried to use them when I foolishly ran out of petrol on a motorway a while back. Exiting the car on the passenger side left both me and the car confused as to what should switch off and what should remain on. I wanted to leave lights and hazards going but the car had other thoughts because I used the wrong door. Maybe there is a procedure but it wasn't obvious...
I think it works in conjunction with the position/setting of the direction indicators .....

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
i tried to test this after reading this, couldn't get the parking brake to work full stop let alone choose a side based on the indicator stalks. given they flip back to neutral position how would they select the side required.

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
i tried to test this after reading this, couldn't get the parking brake to work full stop let alone choose a side based on the indicator stalks. given they flip back to neutral position how would they select the side required.
see:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
..if you leave the switch at the headlight position and switch the ignition off do all the exterior lights go out..?

If so this is why there's a separate position for parking lights that can be used without the ignition. It also looks like the car won't let you drive on parking lights, which is cool (DRLS are waaay brighter than parking lights).

It's been common for a long time that Italian cars had the light switch controlled through the ignition.. long before DRLs you could happily use the dips as DRLs and not worry about running down your battery if you forgot to switch them off. I guess this was handy in northern Italy with all the tunnels, but this is also why you need a separate mechanism to switch on parking lights without the ignition..

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
..or here's a thought; the position clockwise of headlights may operate the parking lights with the engine running?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Warning about Parking lights. Once while on the phone with car parked, I was fiddling with the light switch and I accidentally turned it to the parking light position. It's spring loaded so will return to the normal headlight position. After the call I got out and locked the car heard the beep and was on my way. When I returned a few hours later, the battery was flat as a pancake!
The ignition was definitely off and no phantom radio button issues either. It seem if you turn parking light on you have to manually turn it off else it stays on even though you can lock the car.

@metalgod23 I'm shocked :blabla: that you hadn't sussed the parking lights.

Indeed, if you turn the light switch anticlockwise to the P light position then release, a 'parking' light comes on at all 4 corners of the car and a tell-tale lights up on the instrument panel. After a couple of seconds, the tell-tale and all 4 corner lights go off *unless* you flick the indicator switch (to the 2nd position then release) either left or right. Then the tell-tale goes off but parking lights will remain on the side that you flicked to. In order to cancel, just turn the light switch to P position once more (or drive off). Anyway, does anyone actually use parking lights nowadays??

So it's not correct to say that you can leave parking lights on accidentally just by turning the light switch to P position; you have to complete a second deliberate action with the indicator stalk.

And to the contributor who talked about the indicator stalk not 'latching'. You know perfectly well that it never latches mechanically but of course the action you select latches electronically.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts