Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tail lights have a slight age fading...what's the best way to get back to new looking?
Cheers

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
Meguire's Step 1 Paint Cleaner (I think that is what it is called, but haven't bought any in a while) worked tricks on all car's I have used it on, removed some quite bad 'fogging' on Clio and 18 year old Mercedes headlights

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Cleaned off the yellow fogging/UV coating on my wives Clio headlights at the weekend with 1200 grit sandpaper (wet) and the lots of elbow grease with Autoglym Super Resin polish. Took a while but they look like new now.....

·
Registered
988 Posts
There are polishes which are made for plastic and will do a good job eg Meguiars PlastRX. For light polishing these can be really nice products to use. Most (abrasive) polishes should be able to work well and a firm foam pad will make life much easier.

Once the plastic has been fixed then it is worth adding a wax or sealant of your choice. For longer term protection there are a number of products which will protect the plastic for a long time and make washing much easier eg CarPro Dlux, Gtech C4 etc

·
Registered
324 Posts
3000 trizact disc
Foam pad and compound
Polish/wax to finish off
That's the content of the 3M kit (assuming it's virtually identical to the 3M scratch repair kit which I have used to good effect on a minor scratch, I cannot imagine the lens kit differing much)
You start off pretty aggressively, I'm sure that many passes guarantee impeccable results but is it necessary unless the lens starts blistering/flaking?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I usually only use the lower ones if there's a lot of the factory sealant/lacquer still left on the lens as you need to remove it all off otherwise it will leave marks when finished and need to be done again

1 - 16 of 16 Posts