Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a heap of work done on my GT prior to my ownership. A turbo hose was replaced a few years ago but the turbo itself seems to be original. The car has seemingly been looked after all it's life but the turbo must be near the end of its life at 191k. What sort of lifespan is usual for the stock turbo given what I've said and what sort of cost would I be looking at to have one fitted at an independent alfa garage? Currently no odd noises from it and it seems to be working OK.

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
5,799 Posts
That really is a "how long is a peice of string" question...Ive seen people who thrash their cars from cold and don't change the oil on time get through two in 90k miles....Ive seen others who halve the OCI...treat it gently until the temp gauge reads in the middle, who have the original turbo at over 350,000 miles. In this case it was an ex taxi BMW 325d......still going strong today as my friend work hack that he drives to and leaves at Gatwick (he works there) all day everyday.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any idea of the cost of replacing the turbo on the GT should it need to be done? I use independent Alfa garages like Autolusso. I'm quite happy with a refurbished turbo if it's from a decent source like Autolusso. How many hours labour is usually involved?

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
An hour to pull off, an hour to refit, and about 300-400 for reconditioning. They would need car for most of a day. But if it ain't broke.........

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not the end of the world should it need replacing then. What Turbo does it use or were different ones used?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts