Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, in a few days it will be the 3rd anniversary of when I first bought the 156 and I thought I would do a write up of its life and what it has been treated to both good and bad.

3 years ago to the day (more or less) I went on the internet with the hope of changing my Avensis (boring but reliable as hell) as it was on 250k and we wanted to do our first trip to the mainland. Missus said theres no way without AC which the Avensis didnt have - if it had I'd never have bought the Alfa so I thank the missus for that :thumbs:
Anyway, I found this lovely Blu Vela 156 JTD up in Co. Down for a nice £1,900, 100k on the clock, unmarked Momo leather, elec everything and the all important AC.
Went up to see it the next day and drove it, was unimpressed with it at first as the MAF was gone (didnt know at the time) and the gear linkages were not good. Something grabbed my attention though and I said I'd let the dealer know. After driving back down to Waterford I convinced myself and her that it was to be our next car. Arranged a meeting with the dealer and a few days later I traded in the Avensis plus some cash and was on my way home with a lovely Alfa.

Next day I brought it to Alfa who diagnosed the MAF, unplugged it and ordered a new one. Well my God she could fly!!! :lol:

Summer came and we brought her on our first European road trip. Ferry to Cherbourg and then onwards to Paris, then to Nimes and into Geneva and then eventually onto Rome. She did not miss a beat and only the AC stopped working :lol: got it fixed in Rome and then onto our next segment. Rome to Trieste, then to Rijeka (Croatia) and down to Split - again not a thing wrong. Next day the missus' parents flew in and we continued the trip together into Montenegro and finally to Tirana. Then we drive all the way up to Warsaw and up to Tallinn in Estonia then back down to Poland across Germany and back to Ireland.

I was in love.

The Autumn saw a bad turn for the old girl where she hasnt been right since. On a trip back to the mainland she cracked her sump on a bad road and knackered the engine in minutes.
I had to leave her there which gutted me, came back a few months later with the money for a new engine (summer of 2010) bought the engine and then got a mechanic to pop it in.
Everything went back to normal with my feelings for her when a week later I was told the car was ready, I could have cried when I heard it purr into life :)

After that she was driven to Italy where this happened:

Absolutely gutted as the driver basically ****ed off :(

Since this time i've had nearly everything replaced in the car and if it was any other car I wouldnt have bothered but I love her so much. She has saved me from death with her quick steering, she never stops putting a smile on my face whenever I drive or look at her, I had many friends in it where we always had laughs and trips and its where I decided that I wanted to marry my girlfriend so thats why this car has a lot of sentimental value for me and I dont dare dream of giving her up. So thats my experience with my Bella and I look forward to the next 3 years and I would also like to take this time to thank this site and all of the members that have helped me over the past 3 years, I know I've probably been a pain posting nothing but problems but for me this car is worth any hassle for me as it has become more than a car its part of the family. Thank you guys for your help with everything, I wish I could meet you all (now thats an idea, a European meet???!!!!) and share in what is our definitive passion and something we all share in common :thumbs: Sorry if the post is long and more or less boring but these are my feelings about both the car and the forum

Attachments

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've had mine a year in a few days. paid £1500 for her and spent another £3000 getting her sorted out. With only 65k on the clock I couldn't imagine owning any other car for a good few years yet... All that she needs to finish her off is a leather interior and the info centre sorting out. They do tend to get under your skin:)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
great post!!
I know how you feel I wont park the car unless its in a disablity spot (yes i have a badge) as i'm worried about people hitting the doors, If I goto KFC or a place like that i park it where I can see it, i sit and watch if the local kids are about and spend all day cleaning it, I even cleaned it the other day when it was so cold the foam froze to the car and formed a layer of ice so i gave up and vacumed it instead!.... yes i love my car too :eek:

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:lol: there is just something about them, I want to say carisma or soul but its something else. Im looking at her now as I write :)

M

·
0 Posts
Agree...

Great cars... been through a 155 V6 (took it from Scotland to creggan on furthest west point in Ireland and it never missed a beat) , 156 1.8 TS and now on a 156 20v. still got the TS the other half has that now...

Defo something about them :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
I used to change my car every 2 year or less. Then I bought my 156, which I have now had for nearly 4 years, and at the moment I have no desire to change it.
It is stunning to look at, and rewarding to drive. I just try to find any excuse to drive it, and can't help but turn around to look at it as I walk away.
It a truly special car!:)

·
Premium Member
77,377 Posts
Nice post, bear.

I'm coming up to 3 yrs in my sportwagon and with 96k on the clock I'm committed to her for a good few years yet - out of choice. She doesn't feel baggy or knackered - she has a strong engine, good suspension, strong brakes (did them myself, as I keep boring people on here about) - her paintwork could be better and she has a couple of trolley accidents in her doors (totally unprotected - but they look so great).

It's the thing that when you walk away - you can't help looking back. When I come back from the shops I see her and think "still the best looking car in the car park".

I sit behind the while, tap the Alfa logo and think "yes" - what other car gives you that for so little moolah?

M

·
0 Posts
20v got to be the best 156?
Gota say Yes. Better than my 155 V6 as well, though I still hold that car in very high regard and close to my heart. In Veloce spec it not only has torque and power but does not feel front heavy and has epic levels of grip and handles amazingly. Really flat through corners on the twisty roads.... Wan't expecting the handling part of the bargain but think it handles better than an ST220 I got the chance to use a few times recently :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Ive tried to convince my better half that it would make more sense to sell her 156 and the spider and get a new model Spider diesel as I use my company car for day to day driving but she is having none of it,I have to admit its been a great car its a 53plate facelift model and we are the second owners and have had it since 2005 its only done about 51k and besides doing a cambelt/waterpump change replacing the front wishbones and the normal annual service we have had NO issues at all,I still think she is a beautiful car as indeed my spider is but Ive had the Spider for 4 years now (again no serious problems) and just fancied a change although we are going to France in May in the Spider and I am really looking forward to taking her:)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Future classic

I used to change my car every 2 year or less. Then I bought my 156, which I have now had for nearly 4 years, and at the moment I have no desire to change it.
It is stunning to look at, and rewarding to drive. I just try to find any excuse to drive it, and can't help but turn around to look at it as I walk away.
It a truly special car!:)
Future classic?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts