Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to help the headlights on my GTV by fitting LEDs. Very happy with them, much brighter than the Osram Nightbreakers (LED on the right)

But I noticed the beam was very flat. A bit of digging and I found out about the beam deflector lever inside the headlamp. That'll be it I thought so duly adjusted it and it made a huge difference - it adjusted them from flat to having a beam kick up on the RIGHT

Deflector on

Deflector off

It looks very much as though I've got continental headlights (which I didn't think had the levers to flatten the beam). What's even odder is that the lenses have the arrow to say they dip to the left. Of course the lenses are clear so don't do much. The lenses have been replaced so I suppose someone has put RHD UK lenses on LHD lights. The gits...

Before I take the plunge and buy replacements have I got this right?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
A large number of 916 were bought tax free by squaddies in British Forces Germany. There were varying degrees of actually being ‘full UK spec’. Some actually were full UK spec and came with the Meta alarm while others were just right hand drive and still had the standard continental alarm with the fob integral to the key. I bought my GTV new as a young Tom based in Germany and to be honest I have never given any thought to whether I have LHD or RHD headlights. My Spider is also originally bought in Germany and again I’ve never given the lights any thought. On the GTV I have never adjusted the lights and never had any problems on MOTs etc but I’ll have to check as I’m assuming the garage I got it from would have adjusted the lights for continental driving. Maybe the light part number will identify what sort of lights you have.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
A bit more digging and i found these...

The first one has a link to a webpage that explains all the markings on headlights and whether they are for driving on the left or right. I’ll be checking all mine later as soon as I’ve finished my bacon & eggs and consumed half my body weight in coffee.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
That's a horrible beam pattern with lots of light bleeding over the cutoff line....you will be real popular with other drivers!! LED bulbs only work properly in lights designed for them....look at headlights on LEDs factory cars...the reflectors are a completely different design. Also as I'm sure you know you will need to put the stock bulbs back for the MOT....the pattern will fail like that and they are not legal in cars not designed for them. But as said in this link they will often pass the test with a good beam pattern....not like yours!! The two blobs of light above the line are a fail (ex tester here!)….because the reflector is designed to focus halogen light...not LED light which leaves the bulb in a different way....much more uni-directional

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would I use LEDs in a reflector type light or an old cut lens type? No. In projectors though they work pretty well due to the elliptical reflector. Notwithstanding the what the photo may imply to you the beam pattern is identical with LEDs or Halogens - even down to the hump in the middle and the percentage of stray light is also the same.

The two blobs of light are reflections from the holes in the bonnet the headlamp shines though - you can see similar but fainter on the left hand lamp. Look how high up they are less than a metre from the car. They're only going to bother low flying aircraft. I'll judge how popular I am by whether I get flashed or not. As for the MOT I'll leave them in and see what happens - my experience is that so long as they can see a defined beam pattern and they're pointing down they're OK with it whether they're halogen, HID or LEDs, even after the recent MOT changes.

What I have done though is bought a another pair of headlamps which should be RHD ones - final adjustment of the bulb position and orientation will be done with them there's little point fiddling about with LHD ones with the beam deflectors in place.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Would I use LEDs in a reflector type light or an old cut lens type? No. In projectors though they work pretty well due to the elliptical reflector.
Still no - its not that simple. The halogen projector is still designed around the halogen globe and you will still get a poor pattern. Its still illegal for a bunch of good reasons.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd be interested to see what the design differences are . When I get the RHD lamps we'll see how the pattern comes out. I don't think it will dazzle other drivers.

·
Registered
646 Posts
It looks very much as though I've got continental headlights (which I didn't think had the levers to flatten the beam). What's even odder is that the lenses have the arrow to say they dip to the left. Of course the lenses are clear so don't do much. The lenses have been replaced so I suppose someone has put RHD UK lenses on LHD lights. The gits...

Before I take the plunge and buy replacements have I got this right?
More than likely. On a 145, I recently bought a new headlamp unit from an EU supplier - which was a LHD unit. The beam converter lever moves a shutter that switches the beam pattern from a flat top to a kick up on the right, as you describe above. My original RHD unit switched between flat top and a kick up on the left.

·
Registered
GTV, '96, 2.0V6 TB
133 Posts
My Japanese market GTV is left hand drive and has right hand headlights. I guess living in Canada I should find some left hand headlights (or that silver lever).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts