Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking at the Peugeot 208 and I really like it. The GTI has 200bhp and does 0-60 in 6.8s, and is less than 19K. It's got a gorgeous interior as well. I want one much more than I want a Mito QV. So the game in this thread is to nominate a car that's already available, to stick an alfa badge on, maybe change the styling slightly to go with the alfa family face. You can only nominate 1 car, you can nominate a car in a sector that's already been posted.

As mentioned I'm going for the Peugeot 208 GTI in the B sector hatchback category.

The Peugeot 208 3-Door Hatchback | Super Mini Small City Car!

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,847 Posts
Just about every other manufacture does a facelift on its range, some seeming to be every couple of years. How long has Mondeo, Series 3,5 BMW and Audi A4 been around with countless facelifts?

Alfa Romeo made and sold one of the best looking cars on the road today, today nothing still gets anywhere near close to the good looks of the 159.

So for me, its not other companies cars with an Alfa Romeo grille on I'd like, its a face lift on the 159, a complete revamp of the GT and Brerra. Some new engines, a wider range, a V6 diesel, like Jaguar use? A new V6 petrol, how about a TBi V6 for the real power hungry? A petrol and diesel economy engine (BMW 318i), is the 2.0Jtdm as far as it will go, how about a production version of that motor with say 200BHP?

Add a wagon added to the Guilieta range, a convertible 159 and GT? There is so much that Alfa Romeo could have done with what was already good cars which only need an update and relaunch.

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
Completely agree on the 159. I know plenty of folk who would buy a 159 today if they could get something new or 12 months old. Ludicrous that it is now considered a model consigned to history given how new and fresh it still looks.

What was the entire production run for the 159? 5 years?:confused:

G

·
Alfa Romeo made and sold one of the best looking cars on the road today, today nothing still gets anywhere near close to the good looks of the 159.
Maybe so in the family school run category,:lol: but in my opinion, the spiders take the crown.:thumbs:

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,847 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Take the Giulietta and make a coupe, ala the Scirocco, and call it the Sprint. Cheap, simple engineering and, done correctly, irresistible.

·
Registered
37,942 Posts
Take the Giulietta and make a coupe, ala the Scirocco, and call it the Sprint. Cheap, simple engineering and, done correctly, irresistible.
Yes that would be nice, if the investment could be shared!
The Scirocco sold even fewer units than I thought. Remembering coupes sales peak early , ten thousand in the first two years barely pays for bumper moulds let alone unique metal bits!
Shame.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Alfa never spent more than about 30 quid on development of the 159, consequently by 2008 the competition had overtaken it in handling, performance, economy, accommodation and refinement.
They also waited far too long to bring along the TBi engine which was always going to be greeted more willingly than something out of a Vauxhall Vectra.

A Giulietta coupe would be a lovely car. The Astra GTC is an example of how to make a silky purse out of a sow's ear (GM doesn't make REAL silk).

·
Premium Member
3,507 Posts
Here's a bit of a left-field idea. As Alfa have already set the seed with the proposed MX5-based sportscar, why not tie up with another Japanese manufacturer to produce a simple and reliable sub-compact?.

Keep the styling conservative so as to avoid the 'love it/hate it' controversy of the MiTo/Giulietta, but with just enough adornments to make it obviously an Alfa. You would of course stick in an Alfa engine and possibly suspension to give it the right feel, but ally this to Japanese build quality in the bodyshell and interior fittings.

Now what to call it? Let's assume for the sake of argument that we go with, say, Nissan. We could amalgamate the names and call it the Alfa Romeo Nissan Motor Vehicle - (Alfa Romeo Nissan Autoveicoli in Italian) or ARNA for short.

Wait a minute! What's that you're saying? Somebody's beaten me to that idea? Darn it!

So back to the drawing board it is then, :rolleyes: , and just when it was starting to look so good too, :lol: .

Attachments

G

·
How's about the Toyota GT86/Subaru BRZ. Boxer engined rwd coupe - put a stylish Alfa bodyshell on it and job jobbed :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree that the GT and 159 still look gorgeous. If they had the new engines and interiors of the Giulietta I'd have got a GT instead.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts