Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently spotted a car on ebay that I thought I might bid on.

I asked the seller a question "When was the cambelt last changed". I got the reply "The cambelt is due, I can get it done for £140 including parts and labour".

That is fair enough as I could do the belt myself and save myself £100 or so on labour.

The trouble is the listing doesn't mention the cambelt needing to be done, so I would be bidding against people who were bidding higher not realising it is needed.

Also if the seller fails to add an important detail like this, what else have they left off the advert?

Really annoying, as it is a nice car and not too far away, but I can't see why I should pay over the odds for it.

K

·
0 Posts
All you can do is bid what it's worth to you. Like you I go into these things with my eyes open and if things like that aren't mentioned, I ask. If the response is dunno or, it's due now, I factor it in. If other people are too daft to check and then pay more as a result, it's their loss. Plenty more fish in the sea and all that.

I'm not sure that it's dishonest as such because it's not a really a fault and a lot of slightly unscupulous dealers do similar things. You ask when the belt was changed and they always tell you that the interval isn't for another 20k.
The things that annoy me are more the stuff like has A/C - just needs regassing. The reason it needs regassing is because there's a hole in the pipework or the condenser that's let all the gas out. If the A/C doesn't work, it hasn't got A/C has it?

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
First rule of selling "Don't say anything you don't have to".

·
Registered
37,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But you are meant to describe it accurately when selling on ebay.

For example If the tyres were bald you should say so on the advert, because the buyer is likely to get annoyed and back out of the deal. If you are really unlucky he may even put your windows in.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Oi, I got flamed in another thread for saying that.:lol: True though. Giving too much info will invariably cost you.
E bay has a lot to answer for in what buyers demand in descriptions. I've had people try to chip me on prices for the most stupid little defects not in the ad.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
But you are meant to describe it accurately when selling on ebay.

For example If the tyres were bald you should say so on the advert, because the buyer is likely to get annoyed and back out of the deal. If you are really unlucky he may even put your windows in.
That's it!:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Bingo. That's the thing about Ebay. If people are too stupid to ask the question then they deserve to pay over the odds and to be fair when you asked him he told you straight up. TBH Symon pay what you think it's and if someone else pays more then more for them. You could look at it this way. It's only £40 for the parts :) Alternatively why not post the same question in the questions and answers section at the bottom of the page so everyone can see it :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts