Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

I have a Giulietta 1.4 TB 120 manual (bought new in may 2016 in Austria). I experienced some weird behavior in the lower gears (1-3). In those gears the car really feels lifeless and powerless, from gear 4-6 everything seems fine.
When I activate the D-mode, the display only shows 3-4 bars in the gears 1,2 and 3 but in the gears 4,5,6 every bar turns red. This behavior is completely independet from all external factors it seems (high/low rpm's, cold/warm engine, cold/warm weather, etc.)

Long story short, I brought the car back to the dealer to check everything. Today they called me and said this strange behavior has something to do with the new Euro6-norms and that every mid-2015 Giulietta has the same "problem".

My question is: Can this be true? Has anyone here experienced the same as me?:paranoid:

Tl;dr Giulietta 120 is really lame in the lower gears. Why?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hey!

My question is: Can this be true? Has anyone here experienced the same as me?:paranoid:

Tl;dr Giulietta 120 is really lame in the lower gears. Why?
Honestly I find that hard to believe, this is the standard go away we can't be bother to investigate excuse.
Engine emission is not dependent on gear selection, perhaps cutting power slightly in 1st gear for gearbox protection but unlikely in 2nd and 3rd gear.
The term "defeat device" comes to mind...

Ring Alfacare, not the dealer..

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thanks for reply!
So do you think they wanna fool me?:alien:
I can't comment on their thinking, although a significant other would like me to be a mind reader I fail dismally:cheeky:

But my experience is "some" dealers can't be bothered to solve any challenging warranty work because they might have to ring Alfa headquarters for help.
So they have a standard list of responses to get rid of or fob off customers. My experience is some like this:
"That's normal", "All of this model has the same behaviour" "That is related to emissions" "We can't find the problem" "You must have had a batch of bad fuel" An so forth.

My experience is that the factory are generally interested in keeping you happy (because you buy the next model).
They collect problems and solutions from everywhere, so they have a database of issues along with a team of expert problem solvers, which is greater than the average oil and filter dealer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't comment on their thinking, although a significant other would like me to be a mind reader I fail dismally:cheeky:

But my experience is "some" dealers can't be bothered to solve any challenging warranty work because they might have to ring Alfa headquarters for help.
So they have a standard list of responses to get rid of or fob off customers. My experience is some like this:
"That's normal", "All of this model has the same behaviour" "That is related to emissions" "We can't find the problem" "You must have had a batch of bad fuel" An so forth.

My experience is that the factory are generally interested in keeping you happy (because you buy the next model).
They collect problems and solutions from everywhere, so they have a database of issues along with a team of expert problem solvers, which is greater than the average oil and filter dealer.
Thanks. So what would you recommend me to do? Look for a different car workshop? Getting angry with them?:rofl: What are my options?
I'm sorry but I definitely feel a little bit helpless with that...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alfacare which is run by head office
Thanks, already did. The friendly woman told me, that they will report back as soon as possible. She couldn't give me much informations of course, but she was kind of confused when I told her what my dealer/the workshop said to me ("Euro6 norm blabla...").

I mean, is it possible that I am completely wrong with this? Maybe the engine/turbo works totally normal like in all Giuliettas (Euro5 and Euro6). But why the hell did they told me that "new Giuliettas are worse because of Euro6" then? This is all very confusing.

Thanks for your help btw!:thumbup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's official now: I'm screwed. I have test-driven an Euro5-engine and bought Euro6. FCA did really change many values for the engine and software so the Giulietta now feels lame in the lower gears. The data didn't change because FCA says that with the right rpm's (higher consumption!) the Giulietta is still as fast as before.

F***FCA AND F*** ALFA ROMEO! Really, screw them!

·
Registered
38,002 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
To remap or not to remap; this is the question.

It should be easy to solve with a remap.

There was an article on UK TV about the Fiat 500 in Euro 6 tune. It simply wouldn't go up hills.

I would imagine a similar thing is happening to your G.

You can blame Fiat/Alfa, but part of the blame also has to go to those implementing the emissions regulations.

https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-news/fiat-500-powerful-enough-hills-says-bbcs-watchdog
Shame too have spent your hard earned money on something so expensive as a motor car and not
get what you thought you were buying, especially if you`ve done a test and licked what you drove.
It gets more and more difficult for car makers to give performance that people are looking for and stay within emission values. (hence the problem for VW)
Your dealer would not be able to change the spec. of your car, but clearly software from an earlier model would give you as least full power in 2nd & 3rd gear. Of course any such action would invalidate your warranty.

·
Registered
38,002 Posts
If the warranty is an issue with a remap how about a tuning box?

Just take it off before taking it to the dealer for anything.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes that is viable, though i do`nt know of a tuning box sophisticated enough to make the original ECU think it`s in the higher gears when it`s not. Tuning boxes that i`ve come across achieve what they do by giving the original ECU false values, usually from the MAP or MAF sensors. If you wait awhile some one will come up with an answer. What you are in fact looking for is a means of making the gear box give a voltage value equal to say 4th gear when it`s in 2nd or 3rd. You could include 1st, but it is a road car.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Having read the story of the Fiat 500, I am gobsmacked by the laziness of the approach to meet Euro 6.
I am sorry to hear there was no solution to your issue. At least your experience stands as a warning for other 1.4T Euro 6 Buyers.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Yes that is viable, though i do`nt know of a tuning box sophisticated enough to make the original ECU think it`s in the higher gears when it`s not. Tuning boxes that i`ve come across achieve what they do by giving the original ECU false values, usually from the MAP or MAF sensors. If you wait awhile some one will come up with an answer. What you are in fact looking for is a means of making the gear box give a voltage value equal to say 4th gear when it`s in 2nd or 3rd. You could include 1st, but it is a road car.
the engine ecu has the gearbox ratios programmed to it, and works out the gear you're in by comparing wheel speed to engine RPM. You can't really fool that.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Having read the story of the Fiat 500, I am gobsmacked by the laziness of the approach to meet Euro 6.
I am sorry to hear there was no solution to your issue. At least your experience stands as a warning for other 1.4T Euro 6 Buyers.
something else is wrong, it's a turbo engine! a small NA engine, I can see euro 6 being somewhat problematic although NO engine stays under the limit when you use it hard!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts