Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone know of Les Kirk? I got referred to him by someone of Chatz to fix my headlight. He said it looks like it is the alternator. Do you guys know of him? How is the workmanship?

·
Registered
2003 Spider 3.0 V6 24v Lightning Blu
2,279 Posts
Agreed Alfia Auto are a top bunch of blokes. Very helpful and reasonably priced.

To be honest I've never heard of Les Kirk. Why did Hensel suggest him over Chatz own workshop?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Granted, but it's in his interest to direct business to his own workshop. So I'm trying to understand the thought process behind recommending this Les Kirk guy.
Hmm true...maybe his buddy...or hes getting a kick back on recommendations.
I dont think the DP will be happy to hear that..

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Chan stick to recommendations from guys here whom can vouch for good workmanship.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I spoke to Lez, he used to work at Chatz, I guess he specialized in the electrical stuff for Chatz.
But yes, let me visit Alfie Auto this coming weekend.

I don't think he will get kick back, just sometimes, if the workshop cannot fix some electrical stuff, they do outsource

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
What exactly is wrong with your car?

He may be excellent I've just never used him before. I've only had good experiences at Alfia. I'll have to have my 147 back there soon for a small oil leak and a quote on a front suspension rebuild.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Anyone know of Les Kirk? I got referred to him by someone of Chatz to fix my headlight. He said it looks like it is the alternator. Do you guys know of him? How is the workmanship?
Why would your alternator affect one light and not the other? :scratchchin:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I pull the car in, he indicated to me that my right headlight is also flickering although very slightly, my left headlight will just turn off when I drove for a few Kms.

I also told him, I always need to press twice on the start button, when in cold start. So he stated it might be the alternator. In any case, I will go to see Alfia Auto this Saturday for a quote to change the alternator and also change the gearbox oil. The gear changing is becoming very notchy recently.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
he indicated to me that my right headlight is also flickering although very slightly, my left headlight will just turn off when I drove for a few Kms.
Aha, missing info. I didn't know the left headlight actually worked, then switched off. That info was missing.

The ballast works hardest when striking the arc. So if it ignited the headlight there would be nothing wrong with the ballast. It does however require a stable power supply with stable frequency and when the diodes in the alternator are going, or the battery is busy running down then it could cause the unit to fail.

...however, I have seen lights remain arced with 9V running through the ballasts already... :paranoid:

You should feel if the ballast is becoming hot before shutting down. It will heat up if the voltage drops because it is trying to compensate by increasing the current through the unit.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info, Ian, I got a spare ballast from Dom, but now I really think it is the alternator. I will get a quote first.

Reactions: Ian Lusso

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
During cold start, yes, always need to press twice. Is that the symptoms?

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Usually it just won't start the car or the ecu goes funny and lights up all failure lights on the dash, but have it checked for charge rate, current and voltage. I agree. There is probably a power supply problem. Usually the battery is strong enough to smooth out current ripples though.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ya, checked the earth connections, they look secure. The battery was reading 12.4v. Went to Alfia Auto today with my 500, will bring my spider to them tomorrow.
Hope that it won't be very expensive

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
On the two occasions I've been to them for a 140 000km service and brakes on all four corners they charged me about half of what Chatz charged. They're also more attentive that the Chatz guys. Stuff like greasing the door straps and bonnet catch, checking the gearbox oil etc etc. They also told me the diesel filter water sensor was cracked and glued back in :furious:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yup, just dropped my spider off at Alfia Auto. I hope that I can get my car back before the 12/06/2016.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts