Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to drive a 156 JTD 2.4, which (rather unfortunately) got written off in an accident. I quickly proceeded to buy another Alfa - this one a 159 2.2 JTS.

Immediately I could tell the difference in terms of pull, acceleration and general feel compared to the 2.4JTD (the 2.2JTS being much slower, clunky and generally uninspiring). I attributed this to the huge difference in torque and the lack of turbo.

However, today I left the 159 in for service and drove away in an old 156 2.0 with 130k miles on the clock. I say! What a brisk and pleasant engine. My 2.2 feels so sluggish and unresponsive compared to that old 2.0! I'm starting to thing there is something wrong with my 2.2JTS. I've heard people say that the 159 is a much heavier car, but I would not think the difference would be that staggering!

·
Registered
112 Posts
You would be surprised bow much difference weight makes, and how much heavier newer cars are. For e.g a good Golf GTI mk1 or 2 can still, in a straight line at least, give newer GTI's a run for their money.

Similarly, my 147 115bhp 1.9 JTD 8v feels every bit as responsive as my Astra SRi with the 150bhp 1.9 16v engine.

N

·
0 Posts
That shouldn't be the case. :confused:

My 2.2 Brera never felt sluggish compared to a 2.0TS 147....

Stretched timing chain can result in sluggish behaviour and poor fuel consumption,
apparently.

Otherwise I'd consider a remap + foam air filter if you think it's getting bogged
down.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That shouldn't be the case. :confused:

My 2.2 Brera never felt sluggish compared to a 2.0TS 147....

Stretched timing chain can result in sluggish behaviour and poor fuel consumption,
apparently.

Otherwise I'd consider a remap + foam air filter if you think it's getting bogged
down.
I've been toying with the idea of a remap (especially as Auto Delta is so close to me), but if it's a stretched chain, a remap is not going to solve the problem... Would it be a good idea to ask the guys at AUto Delta to test drive the car and give an opinion on whether a remap will make it better?

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I had the stretched chain on my 159 2.2JTS some time back... even when the chain was fixed it always 'felt' less interesting that our old 2000 156 2.0TS.... even the exhaust from the 156 was better....

Having said that, the 159 felt better built and heavier... just my 2c..

·
Vendor
46,116 Posts
156s are really good, I know I keep banging on about this but they really are! Mind you I think I will be in a 159 in a few years time as they are truly stunning, but it will have to be a 5-pot diesel for me, the 4 pot diesel doesn't have enough go and all the rest use too much fuel.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
You mean to say Dan that the 2.4 is a Fiat Group engine and all the four pot petrols in the 159 are horrible GM/Vauxhall engines:lol::lol:

·
Vendor
46,116 Posts
The 3.2 in the 159 is a nice engine, it just feels like its hauling a bit too much alongand the gearing is too long. 2.2 is OK, I'd agree on the OP a good 2.0 TS in a 156 feels quicker/nippier, perhaps it just feels it rather than it actually being quicker though. Plus they use too much fuel, especially given you have to use plenty of throttle & revs to get them to go. The 1750 is a great engine, but still uses loads of fuel for only 200bhp. 1.9 16v JTDm is not quick enough. Thats why it'd have to be the 2.4 for me - only option really. Quick enough as standard, genuinely fast with a remap.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I own both a 2 liter 147 and a 2.2 159.
The 159 is more powerful in all rev range.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
The 2.2 I had drove much better, faster, stronger in pull than my old 2.0TS. There is something wrong with yours if the 2.0 was as better as you say.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
That's what makes them fun though, the various driving styles you can act out. Doesnt take long to get to 3k, second gear is very lively.

·
Vendor
46,116 Posts
The 2.2 I had drove much better, faster, stronger in pull than my old 2.0TS. There is something wrong with yours if the 2.0 was as better as you say.
Lots of 2.0 TS are down on power though, especially the CF3s built after 2001. The early ones with loads of miles on them are the best, provided they haven't rotted away by now :lol:

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
When I had the 159 1.9JTS we compared it with a 156 2.0 TS and they were basically evenly matched for performance although you had to keep the 159’s rpm’s up all the time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts