Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As sort of a supplementary thread to my one about buying a Spider here, my ideal still being a RHD series 4.
I'm beginning to wonder how much of an issue those with a LHD car find it. There no plan to use it on the continent (apart from a very vague one for a tour in a few years). Is there any difference in insurance costs? Car parks, tolls and the like

I took a 156 to the continent a couple of times and didn't really find any issues with it being RHD. Fairly tiring but that may have been more of an issue with unfamiliarity of signs and priorities. Fortunately the Dutch seem more patient than UK drivers.

Am I just being unduly concerned about it?

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,961 Posts
My Spider is LHD, it was strange to start and I was getting squeals of delight from my wife in the passenger seat with oncoming traffic on B roads. At least I think they were squeals of delight. :paranoid: We both soon got used to it though. The only thing I find a nuisance is at night, following cars with their headlights dipping to the left tend too dazzle more than with a RHD car. Never noticed an issue abroad though in a RHD car.

I have driven 1,000's of miles in mainland Europe with a RHD car and soon become accustomed.

Reactions: Maestro torta

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
I drove a LHD car here in the UK for a decade or so, very easy to get used to. Problems arise when taking a ticket at a car park barrier and of course the occasional road/bridge toll, when driving solo.

I once pulled a rather naughty move in Bristol, cutting up a police car.... 5 minutes later, whilst parked at the side of the road, I had a knock on the window, wound it down and the policeman said "when the driver comes back, tell him I wasn't very impressed with that manoeuvre"

"No problem, will do" I said, my hands on the steering wheel - the powers of observation...

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
as above.... I have a 71 beetle cabrio and I do like the LHD as it is different, however if I was to be overtaking a lot it can be dangerous.. also, it was quite embarrassing on the odd occasion, mainly when I had filled up at a petrol station and without thought jumped into the wrong side of the car! :paranoid:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
as above.... I have a 71 beetle cabrio and I do like the LHD as it is different, however if I was to be overtaking a lot it can be dangerous.. also, it was quite embarrassing on the odd occasion, mainly when I had filled up at a petrol station and without thought jumped into the wrong side of the car! :paranoid:
You did a lot of overtaking in a beetle? :confused: :surprised::bow::hehe:

Seriously, thanks for the advice. LHD opens up another avenue

·
AO Traders
616 Posts
As sort of a supplementary thread to my one about buying a Spider here, my ideal still being a RHD series 4.
I'm beginning to wonder how much of an issue those with a LHD car find it. There no plan to use it on the continent (apart from a very vague one for a tour in a few years). Is there any difference in insurance costs? Car parks, tolls and the like

I took a 156 to the continent a couple of times and didn't really find any issues with it being RHD. Fairly tiring but that may have been more of an issue with unfamiliarity of signs and priorities. Fortunately the Dutch seem more patient than UK drivers.

Am I just being unduly concerned about it?
Hi,
just to let you know that the majority of our insurance schemes have no issues with LHD vehicles. If you ever have a particular car in mind and you would like an insurance quotation on it then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I got a LHD Spider a few months ago and I would say within a week I had got used to it, and I don't even think about it now. Although as above I do get in the wrong side sometimes! Other good news is as the car was designed as a LHD lots of jobs are a lot easier as the pedals and steering box didn't have to be shoehorned into the opposite side of the engine bay.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I got a LHD Spider a few months ago and I would say within a week I had got used to it, and I don't even think about it now. Although as above I do get in the wrong side sometimes! Other good news is as the car was designed as a LHD lots of jobs are a lot easier as the pedals and steering box didn't have to be shoehorned into the opposite side of the engine bay.
the RHD cars always seem a bit "converted" to me - RHD was clearly of an afterthought. So as well as a more elegant mechanical package, you will also find parts availability for LHD better.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,961 Posts
Other good news is as the car was designed as a LHD lots of jobs are a lot easier as the pedals and steering box didn't have to be shoehorned into the opposite side of the engine bay.
What he says! 100%

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
As others have said, absolutely no problem. Both of mine are LHD (although one is based in France so that really, definitely, is no problem :thumbup:).

The driver side area on a LHD is slightly wider than the passenger side so converted cars feel a bit less roomy for the driver.

The only issue is car park and toll barriers. The Spiders are narrow cars, though, so I just put the hand brake on and lean over across the passenger seat. I have never had to get out and walk round as I see people in RHD cars do at the French tolls sometimes.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I actively looked for a LHD
More original
Better finish and fit of dash
Better parts availability

Overtaking..... You just took more care
You sit to the left of motorway lanes........so actually see about 10 cars in front, rather than 2-3.
Only issue was approaching roundabouts with the hood up.....you had to lean right over the wheel to see

I'd highly recommend getting a left hooker......plus you get a better resale value and larger market. Sold mine to a French guy.

Reactions: Maestro torta

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
actually driving a lhd in the UK is better!
when everyone on a long fast twisting country road is edging out to the right to have a looksee if the road ahead is clear to overtake (& getting in the way of everyone else), you just look down the left side with a nice clear view of the road ahead........then scoot out and overtake them all;)

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
the RHD cars always seem a bit "converted" to me - RHD was clearly of an afterthought. So as well as a more elegant mechanical package, you will also find parts availability for LHD better.
I'd say that was probably true of S3 and 4 cars but the factory RHD S2 don't have any issues apart from the pedals which you soon get used to, - if you want the purity of the original then a boat tail or S2 LHD is the way to go

·
Registered
81 Posts
Swallow,

Your policeman was even more in need of a visit to well known purveyor of spectacles than the ones that stopped me when my wife, in the right hand seat, was on the phone. By the time they had realised I was driving they had already come past signalling me to pull over.

Two things annoy me with LHD, car park ticket machines, and being stuck behind a bus that pulls into a stop and I can't see around it. Both annoy the drivers stuck behind too!

Jonathan

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated, and on the strength of them I'm going to take a look at a LHD S3 next week. I'd still prefer a S4 for the rear styling, but I'd much rather have a better car in the first place. And the S3 ain't exactly ugly.

So it's all your faults :biglaugh:

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
As they all say driving a LHD is no problem.I have had a LHD Lancia now for 9 months and the only minor problem that I have come across is turning right at light where the oncoming traffic is also turning right. You often can't see the oncoming traffic so you need to be very careful to make sure that there in no oncoming traffic coming part from that no issue.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated, and on the strength of them I'm going to take a look at a LHD S3 next week. I'd still prefer a S4 for the rear styling, but I'd much rather have a better car in the first place. And the S3 ain't exactly ugly.

So it's all your faults :biglaugh:
They are the bargains of the 105 series that's for sure

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mine is LHD , I think most things have been said on this thread apart from my wife isn't too keen sitting on the " wrong side" of the car as a passenger , she says she feels a bit exposed...... otherwise I think the benefit of having the engineering design as it was meant to be and the associated ease of maintenance outweighs the very slight driving niggles like car park barriers etc .

·
Registered
674 Posts
I actively looked for a LHD
More original
Better finish and fit of dash
Better parts availability

Overtaking..... You just took more care
You sit to the left of motorway lanes........so actually see about 10 cars in front, rather than 2-3.
Only issue was approaching roundabouts with the hood up.....you had to lean right over the wheel to see

I'd highly recommend getting a left hooker......plus you get a better resale value and larger market. Sold mine to a French guy.
This^^^ 100%

All that, plus I would add: I (like most of us) am right-handed and much prefer swapping cogs with my right hand.

Plus, I also find it easier to lift my right hand and my left foot at the same time (rather than left hand and left foot) because you are better braced in the seat for spirited driving.

Plus, you get a naturally built-in clutch rest.

Plus, better braking on most earlier Alfas because their RHD cousins have been butchered to get the master cylinder squeezed in.

I've driven on the Continent on and off for thirty years in RHD cars without problem. I've owned LHD cars in France and Belgium and driven them there and in the UK and Ireland without problem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts