Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I am new to the forum and currently looking for an alfa brera lhd..

Can you guys point me in the correct direction, where can i find a used lhd brera preferably diesel model ??

for various reasons it suits me to have my car registered and insured in the uk,, but i would like a lhd model as i will be driving a lot in europe..

Alternatively is it possible to order a new brera in the UK but have it lhd spec delivered to a uk dealer and registered there ??

any advice much appreciated :thumbs:

N

·
0 Posts
Gah, you just missed mine. :(

Why not buy it cheap from Germany/Luxembourg/somewhere
and import it to the UK? If you need UK plates.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was hoping to find one already registered in the uk to be honest..

Although buying elsewhere could be an option, I have no experience of buying abroad,

I was under the impression that to buy in Germany or luxembourg you would have to be registered as living there and have a postal address.. Is this the case ??
If i was to follow this option would there be tax to pay once registering the car in the uk..

How much cheaper would it be in Germany or luxembourg, i have no idea where to begin

any advice much appreciated

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi, Back in the heady euro : pound days of 2001 (when I got 1.6:£1), I bought a RHD 147 from P & M Baak in Vorschotten in the Netherlands and imported it back into the UK myself. Came in on dutch plates, and was then registered immediately as a brand new UK car by myself at the DVLA. Really easy process, english speaking dealers, and back then a major costs saving. They'd have been just as happy to sell me an LHD car (which would have been even cheaper, as RHD was effectively viewed by AR in holland as a cost option!)

PhilipS

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, Back in the heady euro : pound days of 2001 (when I got 1.6:£1), I bought a RHD 147 from P & M Baak in Vorschotten in the Netherlands and imported it back into the UK myself. Came in on dutch plates, and was then registered immediately as a brand new UK car by myself at the DVLA. Really easy process, english speaking dealers, and back then a major costs saving. They'd have been just as happy to sell me an LHD car (which would have been even cheaper, as RHD was effectively viewed by AR in holland as a cost option!)

PhilipS
What charges did you incurr while registering the car with the dvla, the reason i ask is i was under the impression if you have owned the vehicle for less than five months you would be taxed at time of registering ..

was there any particular reason you used the above dealer ? Do you have a contact there

Thanks

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Back in the heady euro : pound days of 2001 (when I got 1.6:£1)
And this I guess will be the key to the OP's plight. Given that in the last year it's not broken 1.18:£1 I don't imagine buying abroad is a cost effective option.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi,

The only charges made by the DVLA was the RFL as far as I can remember (maybe there was a registration fee too, but if so it wasn't much). I had to pay UK VAT when I brought the car in (got the bill a few weeks later), but didn't pay VAT in Holland.

I choose P & M Baak as they were very experienced in dealing with UK customers (remember importing cars was the big thing back in 2001), close to the port, near Amsterdam for flying in (and weekend break!) and, like much of Holland all (even the techy) spoke perfect English. They even knew the tricks of the trade, like putting the factory options on a separate invoice, so you wouldn't have to declare them for VAT (allegedly...). I dealt with the 'head honcho', Peter Baak, mostly by email and occassionally on the phone. He dealt with all the export paperwork and even came to pick me up from the station himself! Genuinely good service all round.

BAAK heeft speciale aanbiedingen voor service en onderhoud aan uw auto. - BAAK - www.Baak.nl

As for the car, it was exactly UK spec, even came with English manuals. 'registered' it (FOC) with alfa UK and warranty, service etc all as normal. I'd have done it again, except for buying RHD there aren't any significant savings to be had these days.

hope this info helps, PhilipS

1 - 7 of 7 Posts