Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a pair of 36-LED tail/stop and a pair of indicator bulbs off Ebay (yes I know - that was my first mistake :rolleyes: ) last week and fitted the tail/stop lights today.

They work, but they're dimmer than the filament bulbs and for safety reasons, I'm loathed to keep them in if they're not as bright as the originals.

They do work, however and they fill the bulb unit with light, but just not as brightly. I haven't tried the indicator bulbs yet (166s have LEDs in the rear as standard, but not the front - hence buying indicator bulbs so that the front flashing 'matches') because they're a bit fiddly to change over a lunch hour, but they seemed very dim when I tried them in the reversing light housing.

Has anyone had any success in fitting LED bulbs? Anyone know of any suppliers who sell brighter versions? :confused:

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
You are better off building your own boards with REd/Orange SuperFlux LEDs on them for tail/brake and amber ones for turn signals.

If you don't want to, try These for tail/brake

and these for turn signals.

Expensive but made to use your lights reflectors plus the LED units themselves are wide angle.

Be prepared for the "bulb out" warning though.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you don't want to, try These for tail/brake

and these for turn signals.

Expensive but made to use your lights reflectors plus the LED units themselves are wide angle.
I saw those when I was buying mine, but I don't know how bright they are in comparison. The ones I bought were an array of smaller LEDs, in a bulb shape with banks pointing in all directions - the reflectors were used, but the LEDs themselves were too dim.

I'll send ultraLEDs an email asking for some more details, thanks. :thumbs:

Yeah, I know about that but luckily 166s only have a bulb check when switching the ignition on and the light goes off after 15 seconds or when the engine is started. :)
Serves you right for trying to chav up a 166. :tut:

:p
Chav it up? What are you on about? :confused:

Maybe you're getting confused with Lexus lights. You must be getting on a bit. :lol: :p

·
Registered
945 Posts
Just place an appropriate sized resistor across the terminal in parallel to the LED bulb.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts