Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fitted a pair if these about a year ago. They were not as bright as the normal Filament Bulbs but they worked OK so decided to leave them on.

Noticed today that one of the Brake Lights was not as bright as the other so out came the trusty DMM, thinking I might have a poor Earth/Contact. Not so, everything was fine apart from the LED Unit itself. I swapped them over and the dimmer light went with it, so a problem with the LED Unit itself. :(

These were not cheap eBay units and were quite expensive, you can buy quite a few normal bulbs for the price of these. I'm disappointed, I thought that fitting these would save any future Bulb problems.

My advice, for what's it worth, is to save your cash and buy a few spare normal bulbs for pennies from your local Factor.

Mind you the " normal " Stop lights don't half get hot quick !!!! :eek:

·
Registered
30,421 Posts
Never seen the point of swapping to LED bulbs.
Especially with these stop/tail where there is very little difference between the brightness of tail & stop on the LED.....!

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Especially with these stop/tail where there is very little difference between the brightness of tail & stop on the LED.....!
The reason I swapped was purely to save me driving around with an unknown failure on the Brake Lights.

I've seen the light now David............. :wow:

I'll get me coat ! :D

·
Registered
40,592 Posts

I heard that LED's in brakes lights are good because they illuminate faster than fillament bulbs.

It is only fractions of a second, but a fraction of a second can be a few meters at motorway speeds.

·
Registered
30,421 Posts
I heard that LED's in brakes lights are good because they illuminate faster than fillament bulbs.

It is only fractions of a second, but a fraction of a second can be a few meters at motorway speeds.
Doesn't help when you can't tell if the brake lights are on or not when the side lights are on........

·
Registered
693 Posts
Why is it that the majority of modern cars are being released with LED brake and tail lights and they are very bright and up to the job? What is the difference?

·
Registered
30,421 Posts
Why is it that the majority of modern cars are being released with LED brake and tail lights and they are very bright and up to the job? What is the difference?
Different light units and type-approved LED bulbs that are up to the job.
Not an aftermarket job from eBay...!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I looked into doing this a while ago in the end I just replaced the sidelight, fog and wing indicator bulbs.

As the OP says all the rear bulbs I saw for sale stated that they were slightly dimmer than the filament equivalents so I decided to leave them as they were.
I do think the sides and fogs are worth changing to LED though as they provide more light and look a lot better IMO, who knows if they'll last any longer though :rolleyes:

It is a bit of a pain when the filament bulbs go but I always have a spare in the boot just in case I get stopped for having a bulb out.

·
Registered
40,592 Posts
Different light units and type-approved LED bulbs that are up to the job.
Not an aftermarket job from eBay...!
Most Aftermarket stuff from Ebay is junk and probably illegal. Like aftermarket HID kits.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
LED lighting technology is here to stay. I'm (un)lucky enough to have been involved in construction work in operational mining areas and can vouch for the fact that an LED can provide much more light than normal bulbs while using less current. Vehicles fitted with LED warning lights (like police vehicles for example) have very, very expensive LED's fitted, and they perform well. Not just 5 times the price of normal bulbs, more like 25 times the price. They last longer under much harsher conditions and are more visible under adverse conditions.

Our two main reasons for changing to LED lights were that you got higher light intensity without having to rewire the lighting circuit, and much longer bulb life under adverse conditions.

A good example of good LED lighting is in the tail lamps of the current Vento/Jetta from VW.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts