Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the Mitos led rear lights but think it's a shame the indicators don't match the modern look of all the red leds.

I know this has been covered to some degree before, but wondered if anyone had bought any led indicator bulbs recently which were any good and could perhaps link to them?

eBay and amazon are a minefield for leds and it's hard to know what's good and what's bad, what works and what doesn't without buying loads.

Those that have done it, did you use white leds and rely on the original lens to tint it, or do white leds overpower the orange lens so you need to use amber leds in there as the original halogens are quite a yellowy white.

Also the rear numberplate lamps. I tried some led w5w bulbs which were ok to start with but like most I've tried didn't last long before they started flickering. I've seen the complete plug in replacement units but no idea which if any of them are any good?

Personal recommendations from people who have actually used certain bulbs for a while would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Read on one site that you should fit coloured leds to brakes and indicators .. all to do with spectrums and light output

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was my thought, a yellowish halogen lamp isn't going to take much filtering to turn amber, but bright blueish white point sources of an led might overpower a light amber lens with some strange effects so would probably need an amber led.

Might have to do some experimenting of my own.

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
I got the info from a Classic Car LED supplier .. amber leds for indicators, red leds from brakes give a much better light. Don't think the indicators are CANbus on teh MiTo but I bet the number plate bulbs are .. I've tried LEDs in a couple of other cars and never had much success .. on my Alfa 156 the H6W side lights were a PITA to replace but LEDs lasted weeks .. I remember driving home with the lamp warming light flashing on and off when the LED failed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
NOt an exact answer, but I've replaced side light bulbs with the "correct" specification LEDs and now have a "check lights" dash warning. Assume the new LEDs don;t give the correct resistance value (even though they seem to illuminate fine).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts