Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, iv browsed this site previously, but this is my 1st post.

My dad has a 2002 166.

The LED digital display has gone blank. All the controls seem to work, ie fan, radio, but we see nothing on the display.

Dad tells me that it was previously changed out under warranty at considerable expense. I searched the forum to find that it may just be a 10amp fuse for led light, or i may have to replace entire ics?

I found this company doing upgraded units.

Alfa Romeo dim display lcd screen Repair Porsche Becker Siemens ICS

Thoughts welcome, thanks.

Chris from Aberdeen.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I found this company doing upgraded units......
Chris

No experience of using their services, but I think they repair/upgrade your existing unit rather than supply a replacement upgraded unit. There is another company that offer the same (although I think more expensive at something like £350 against their £330) on ebay.

Does your Fathers ICS have the sim card slot on the front? Only asking as they are trickier to come across secondhand, but personally to spend the abovementioned amount of money and then only have a 3 month warranty from the point of repair, I think I would be looking to see if I could find one from a car being broken (with code card) for a lot less.

Maybe contact Autolusso and see if they have anything at the moment.

Bob

·
Registered
10,889 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replies.

Its not one with a sim card slot. I think its 2002, its got a cassette not a cd player. If i can source a new console, do i need to get the whole centre piece?

And does it have to be from the same year or can i upgrade?

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
Thanks for replies.

Its not one with a sim card slot. I think its 2002, its got a cassette not a cd player. If i can source a new console, do i need to get the whole centre piece?

Thanks
Chris
CD player in the boot above the battery and if sat nav it's there too.

Pomeo

PS Get in the queue for the inbuilt phone ics.:cheese:

·
Registered
933 Posts
Thanks for replies.

Thanks
Chris
Chris

Pomeos link must be well worth a follow up. PM the original poster on that link and try and have a chat with them.

As for the cassette - they all have that. None of them have built in CD, but with the right changer and lead they can all control a 6 CD changer that sits in the boot as per Pomeo's post. Here is an example thats on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo-166-6-CD-Auto-Changer-/130612952383?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item1e69237d3f

If you get a replacement you only need the ICS itself (not the facia, fog/hazard switches or the Climate controls), but normally they get sold with all these additional bits in place. Even if you were to source one with the Climate buttons in place, you may still have to pop your old ones back in as the loom plug socket on the back of those switches can differ. If you get one from a LHD car you will need to swap over the front facia as well as the RHD/LHD are shapped differently to fit the dash.

The only 'upgrade' of the ICS unit itself, is from a "standard" one to a telephone ICS - for which you would also need to get hold of (or build) the corresponding loom, Microphone and GSM aerial.

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,166 Posts
There is post on here somewhere about a guy has who repaired the ics himself, which in his case was the inverter board but he said he could get the light tube as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had a look at the car last week, by shining a torch on the ics as i turn on the igniton, i can make out the alfa emblem on the screen. I assume this is a good sign that its either the fuse for the screen thats gone or the bulb?

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,166 Posts
There is no fuse just for the screen or bulb, so its a bulb and or inverter pcb problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I cant recall which post but i read that there is a fuse behind the lcd screen, what is it for then?

As i was saying, i can see numbers on didital display when i shine a torch on it, does anyone know what this means? Is it the bulb or inverter thats at fault?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts