Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have pretty much changed all of the bulbs on my car now to LED's inside and out. I'm loving the modern feel it gives to the car, and the compliments I get make it all worth while.

However, I do have a rather unusual problem with the front offside indicator.

Having replaced the front four bulbs with LED units and have installed the required ballast resistors, everything works fine apart from the front driver's side indicator. If I return just that bulb to the old filament one, it works. But with the LED one fitted, it refuses to flash.

I have tried an alternative LED bulb to see if it made any difference, but to no avail. I know that the feed for the driver's side indicator comes from the passenger side, but can't think that that would make a difference between a filament bulb working, and an LED one not working...:confused:

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

AndyC.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
What value ballast resistor is used Andy? Drop it a %age maybe?? Say 10% and see if that sorts it??

Funny enough, just bought some LED replacements for the stop/tail. Yet to see what happens when I plug them in....

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
I got some LED stop/tail bulbs as a trial and they went straight back because they were FAR too dim and dangerous IMO - I'd like to know which type of bulbs you are both using and if they're any good. :)

I'm with Chris - sounds like a voltage drop issue, reduce the resistor value or if the drivers side has a ballast (resistor) as well as the passenger side, get rid of it, seeing as the drivers side is fed from the other. As long as it's in line with the drivers side feed it'll be fine.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I got some LED stop/tail bulbs as a trial and they went straight back because they were FAR too dim and dangerous IMO - I'd like to know which type of bulbs you are both using and if they're any good.
Have a look at: https://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm I have used their products at the rear, modified the side indicators and replaced the front indicators, load resistors included. Their products are not the most inexpesive but high quality. They also are a reliable company to do business. In some instances I had to do some modifications to the lamp foot.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Waiting for mine to arrive at the moment. Usual E-bay unknown stuff! Claim to be bright...time will tell.

Thanks for the link Klaasw.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Waiting for mine to arrive at the moment. Usual E-bay unknown stuff! Claim to be bright...time will tell.
You'll probably get the ones I sent back then! Fair play to the guy, he refunded me straight away when I sent them back. Obviously has the experience quite a lot! It was this type I bought - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/36-LED-WHITE-1157-380-P21-5W-TAIL-STOP-Light-bulbs-UK_W0QQitemZ180302050541QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item180302050541&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hi
I bought myself some LED front sidelight bulbs (bright white) to match the xenon's i'd bought for the dipped beams, they where a bit dim in the enclosure, but looked quite ominous at night... Think the problem stems from the leds being directional and the 166 sidelight relies on the light being bounced around the enclosure..
They also triggered the bulb warning... have since returned to the std halogen 5w's
The xenon kit was a revelation, almost biblical, 'i was blind and now i can see' they where a 6k 55w kit very reasonable and goes a long way to getting around the traditional 166 headlight prob, i don't think those 'projector' type light units are very successful with halogen..
Ciao - JK

·
Registered
136 Posts
xenon upgrades work wonders on the 166's projector lights... changed LEDs too, and still get the bulb failure warning (just ignore it). I did however leave the front indicators standard bulbs as a whole morning of playing with resistors just resulted in always on or always off status!

R

·
0 Posts
xenon upgrades work wonders on the 166's projector lights... changed LEDs too, and still get the bulb failure warning (just ignore it). I did however leave the front indicators standard bulbs as a whole morning of playing with resistors just resulted in always on or always off status!

I think you may be able to use indicator LED's on your car if you can get access to the indicator relay. You could also do away with fitting resistors.
If you can get at the relay and remove the cover then take some pictures of the chip marking inside then I may be able to tell you how to modify it so that it ignores the bulb failure condition.

·
Registered
136 Posts
that would be very interesting - thanks mate...

you have any idea where the relay would be? a quick guess would be behind the ICS...

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I have changed Tail lights, dash bulbs, sidelights, instrument panel, number plate lights all to LED's and look great,

I've got all sidelights too with an LED relay - not fitted yet as getting to the flasher relay seems a bit tricky. Anyone know how to get to it behind the steering column?

R

·
0 Posts
I think you may be able to use indicator LED's on your car if you can get access to the indicator relay. You could also do away with fitting resistors.
If you can get at the relay and remove the cover then take some pictures of the chip marking inside then I may be able to tell you how to modify it so that it ignores the bulb failure condition.
I'm not sure on your car, but you should be able to hear the relay clicking when the indicators are on, I suspect its either near the fuse box or in the engine bay

R

·
0 Posts
I have changed Tail lights, dash bulbs, sidelights, instrument panel, number plate lights all to LED's and look great,

I've got all sidelights too with an LED relay - not fitted yet as getting to the flasher relay seems a bit tricky. Anyone know how to get to it behind the steering column?
Which LED's did you use on the front/rear indicators and side repeaters

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Which LED's did you use on the front/rear indicators and side repeaters
I havent fitted them yet, they don't sell them anymore as they have been replaced with newer models:

382 1156 Single - by Ultra Leds U.K

I cant remember if the 156 has offset pins or in-line pins on the indicator bulbs, ill have to check later.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts