Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a product plug in Practical Classics this month for Stella Lux LED package and have just been looking at the product, which is claimed to be UK MOT compliant.
I can't find anything specifically for Alfas, but presumably they are much of a muchness and we could use the same bulbs? Has anyone tried these in their Spider or GTV etc. ?
I have tried LEDs in my 916 Spider and didn't find them that much of an improvement over the halogens but I may not have installed them correctly (they need to be orientated vertically, and can be swivelled in the mount to do this, which I hadn't realised at the time )

STELLA LUX LED BULB CONVERSION H4 PAIR
STELLA LUX LED BULB CONVERSION (PAIR) - MGB / MIDGET
Developed for 7" Lucas style headlamps a Stella Lux H4 conversion represents a technological breakthrough for classic car owners , with modern vehicle lighting levels of 3000 Lumens per bulb , three times brighter than standard H4 halogen bulbs and emitting a bright white 6000k colour delivering a vastly improved road presence and visibility enabling drivers to see up to 100m further ahead without dazzling oncoming traffic
Meets UK MOT test requirements and comprises of a pair of Premium quality 25W LUMILEDS LUXEON Z ES LED H4 light units and low load plug and play dual polarity drivers and complete straightforward fitting instructions

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Not tried those but on a slight tangent I saw an MGB with Angel Eye headlights yesterday, looked very strange.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Assuming these are just the bulbs not the reflectors? - if so they fail to mention that retrofitting LED's without suitable reflectors is illegal in the UK on the basis it is very easy to blind oncoming road users due to the different way the light reflects, may well pass an MoT as the test isn't exactly precise but its those stray beams that cause the problems. Better off sticking with some nightbreakers or similar and making sure the connections are good Nick

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Assuming these are just the bulbs not the reflectors? - if so they fail to mention that retrofitting LED's without suitable reflectors is illegal in the UK on the basis it is very easy to blind oncoming road users due to the different way the light reflects, may well pass an MoT as the test isn't exactly precise but its those stray beams that cause the problems. Better off sticking with some nightbreakers or similar and making sure the connections are good Nick
The feature in the magazine showed bulbs and the actual 7" light units (reflector and lens) in the photo which was what got me interested. I agree with you Martin, there is nothing worse than blinding aftermarket lights coming the other way in the dark so I wouldn't fit just the bulbs (The 916 lights are projector style which, apparently, handle the LEDs OK).
I can't track down a complete set like this on the internet, though.
I do have good halogen bulbs fitted currently, and relays, as well as cleaned grounds so they are not bad. But driving a modern car does highlight the differences!

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Interesting stuff nick - as far as I can gather LED bulbs aren't E-marked and are therefore not legal fitment, I don't have a problem with non E marked stuff but do have a problem with blinding headlights, its bad enough when being followed by a car with them fitted as standard let alone badly fitted ones, I've fitted Nightbreakers with a relay and remove the Carello covers if I'm out at night, which is rare, must admit the headlights on my 147 are brilliant, just means i go slower in the Spider..

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Could be that MGB had these fitted:

I avoid when I can using the Spider in the dark as being a LHD car my door mirror is right where a dipped beam light of any sort is aimed.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could be that MGB had these fitted:
Yes, maybe. They would look pretty naff on a Spider, which is a shame as I would like to have some bright DLRs, and these include a DLR option. Yes, I know I can just turn the headlights on but I'd still like DLRs that come on with the ignition.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Nick, if you want DLR's, do what I have done, change the 5w front side lights for 21w LED, as LED there is no heat issue. i have considered wiring them to the ignition with a relay, maybe.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Nick, if you want DLR's, do what I have done, change the 5w front side lights for 21w LED, as LED there is no heat issue. i have considered wiring them to the ignition with a relay, maybe.
Have to admit I use 21W bulbs in my sidelights but hadn't thought about using LED's, they need to be good quality ones as cheap ones are worse than useless, on that note what bulbs are fitted in the indicator repeaters?

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
This is where I got mine, I changed side lights, indicator and stop/tail to LED. I left the indicator repeaters as they were.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is where I got mine, I changed side lights, indicator and stop/tail to LED. I left the indicator repeaters as they were.

How bright are the LED'd side lights at night? I was investigating putting supplementary DLRs on an old motorbike and from what I read it seemed that I would need to wire it so that they turned off when the sidelight/headlight was switched on. This is an MOT requirement, I think (I'm happy to be corrected), as the DLRs can be dazzling at night.
I wonder if 21 watts in Alfa sidelights might be similarly dazzling at night as they are not designed to be directional? I don't suppose the MOT would pick it up, as they are not bolt-on additional lights.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
They are not as bright as DRL's on modern cars at all, but they do make you a bit more visible.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wot he said, Martin - I won't be able to do mine until I go out to France, probably in February, so you might be on tenterhooks until then if you don't try it yourself ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts