Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made the decision to stop paying for a TV licence for the following reasons.

1. Jimmy Savile and his ilk that were condoned by Auntie Beeb
2. ****e Programmes
3. TV Licence is just another tax
4. I dont watch much TV these days

Let the detector man come, i welcome the chase!

·
Registered
37,369 Posts
I have thought about this myself as well.

With so many catchup services on the web is there any need to pay a corrupt organisation £150 odd per year?

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
the licencing people don't care if you watch it or not, if you have a device capable of receiving a terrestrial tv channel on or off they want a piece of you.

·
Registered
14,503 Posts

2. ****e Programmes

Unless you live in a caravan, he probably won't have to do much chasing to be honest.

·
Administrator
45,165 Posts
Did the BBC really condone paedophilia? Or did the extremely anti-BBC media simply get a lot of mileage out of a witch hunt?

The catch-up services on the net are, I believe, only to be watched if you have a licence too.

I would suggest that there is only one real reason for you deciding not to pay the license fee. If you're happy with that reason, that's your choice. But if you think its morally correct, then I'd assume you're happy to not watch the TV at all any more?

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
The TV licence is old school, they should do away with it and just lump us with more tax while giving the BBC less.:rolleyes:

I pay mine as I like th ecatch-up services, and they probably wouldn't be around in the form they are now without the BBC leading the way.

·
Registered
44,784 Posts
People complain about paying the licence fee every year but then spend £300+ per year on SKY or Virgin ! The licence fee is bloomin good value IMO. You ask someone who lives in Iran or Zimbabwe who they listen to when they need honest, to the point news reporting.... the BBC World Service that's who. Stop complaining, the Beeb is good value for money plus you don't get those bloomin annoying adverts every 5 minutes !

Rant over :eek:

·
Registered
14,503 Posts
People complain about paying the licence fee every year but then spend £300+ per year on SKY or Virgin ! The licence fee is bloomin good value IMO. You ask someone who lives in Iran or Zimbabwe who they listen to when they need honest, to the point news reporting.... the BBC World Service that's who. Stop complaining, the Beeb is good value for money plus you don't get those bloomin annoying adverts every 5 minutes !

Rant over :eek:
Well said.

·
Registered
14,503 Posts
Did the BBC really condone paedophilia? Or did the extremely anti-BBC media simply get a lot of mileage out of a witch hunt?

The catch-up services on the net are, I believe, only to be watched if you have a licence too.

I would suggest that there is only one real reason for you deciding not to pay the license fee. If you're happy with that reason, that's your choice. But if you think its morally correct, then I'd assume you're happy to not watch the TV at all any more?
You can watch catch-up services online, eg iplayer and ITV player, without one.

·
Registered
37,369 Posts
So long as you don't feed it through a TV capable of receiving transmitted services.
I am sure you can, as long as the broadcast isn't live.

You can also watch downloaded films or DVD's without a licence.

The licence is to watch a live broadcasts on a TV (or live streaming of TV programs on a computer)

S

·
0 Posts
I made the decision to stop paying for a Road Fund licence for the following reasons.

1. Old cars get away without paying it and are condoned by HM Gov.
2. ****e Roads
3. Road tax is just another tax
4. I dont drive much these days

Let the enforcers come, I welcome the chase!
I can feel a trend setting in here. :rolleyes:

You have a TV - you need a licence. You don't get to pick and choose which taxes you pay. Grow up and get over it. :tut:

·
Banned
316 Posts
You only need a tv licence to watch tv 'live as broadcast', catchup services online do NOT need a licence.
Check the wording on your licence, it's clearly there in black and white.
A colleague stopped paying the licence fee a couple of years ago and switched to watching 'on demand' and 'delayed' broadcasts on the Internet.
The BBC get quite nasty about the fact that he hasn't payed and threatening letters aren't uncommon, but they cannot touch him because he doesn't watch tv 'live as broadcast'.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Administrator
45,165 Posts
Fair enough. I thought I remembered in the past getting a message on starting iPlayer that I must be a license holder. Perhaps it said I had to be in the UK, and I'm misremembering?

Still, the general point stands.

C

·
0 Posts

2. ****e Programmes

The chase won't last long....Neither will your telly, if you don't pay because the Bailiffs will have it (along with anything else) and you'll end up paying 3 times more in the way of a fine and fees.:rolleyes:

I welcome your report on the result.:lol:

Income tax is "just another tax" are you opting out of that also?

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
I am sure you can, as long as the broadcast isn't live.

You can also watch downloaded films or DVD's without a licence.

The licence is to watch a live broadcasts on a TV (or live streaming of TV programs on a computer)
Correct as far as I understand it also :thumbs:

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
I saw the thread title and imagined (over optimistically, I admit) a pun relating to something interesting; possibly an amusing and/or informative point about maybe the Arab spring in Lebanon. What a let down:(

Stop whinging and cough up. The BBC is fantastic value for money:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts