Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My GT v6 has a very nice red leather interior which looks simply stunning. The problem is I have never really been a fan of leather seats. They just don't feel right to me.

In storage I have a set of front and Rear cloth seats from an Alfa GT Blackline which are IMO are more comfortable.

Would it do a disservice to the car to "Downgrade" the seats like this or would it seriously affect the value?

What do you all prefer?

Cheers,

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
Leather every time.

Changing to cloth would reduce desirability considerably.
But if you kept the original leather in storage you could change them back later.

Reactions: 73GTVJim

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Leather, definitely.

Leather looks better.
If leather seats are well-designed, they still "breathe" and don't become uncomfortable on a hot day.
Leather does not trap dust particles, so the interior of the car is not as dusty as happens with cloth seats.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Indeed, also leather here.

I assume that this would also look odd because the door cards also have leather(?) inserts of the same colour.

·
Registered
479 Posts
If you've got the cloth seats and you prefer them, then fit them (assuming you can do the job yourself). You'd have the advantages of the "feel" you prefer while you're driving plus you'd be protecting your valuable asset (of leather seats) from wear and tear. When you come to sell the car you can re-fit the leather (if the buyer prefers them) which will be in better condition (therefore worth more) than they otherwise would have been. Seems like a win-win to me.

·
Administrator
87,579 Posts
Alfatex for the win :thumbs: More comfortable & none of the temperature issues associated with leather (hot or cold)

I bought & specced the options on my car for me, not for any potential future owners ;)

·
Administrator
87,579 Posts

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Leather every time, but as long as you keep the leather for resale, then you can do whatever you want - it is all reversible. I find that cloth just looks really tatty after a few years, whereas leather wears the years well.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I was tempted recently to buy some cloth seats from a Blackline off eBay as I don't really like the feel (hot or cold) of the leather seats that much...and the heated seat switches are always breaking which does my nut in. If I had red leather instead of boring grey I would keep them mind just for the look of them.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I think the leather is actually more supportive oddly enough.

Also I like the fact it makes the interior come alive with colour. Rather than a sea of black / grey.
Each to their own.

Strangely I don't have any issues with too cold or too hot. But i think given the leather is Tan coloured helps. Never have any issue with sweating too. Seats are very breathable.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I prefer cloth, as for me leather makes the seats feel harder - especially after more than a decade of use when it has lost most of its original softness.

Having said that, the light grey leather makes the interior a much brighter and nicer place to be, I'd never buy an Alfa with black leather... Each to their own I guess :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
I prefer cloth, as for me leather makes the seats feel harder - especially after more than a decade of use when it has lost most of its original softness.

Having said that, the light grey leather makes the interior a much brighter and nicer place to be, I'd never buy an Alfa with black leather... Each to their own I guess :)
Red leather is probably the most desirable colour for most Alfa interiors but if you're happier with cloth then go for it but keep the original interior. You will knock thousands off the value if you don't.

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
Cloth is best. Leather burns one's bum in summer.
Maybe in the South of France, but in Aberdeen where the OP is, not so much!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
leather for looks and resale value but I love the Alcantra on the Guilietta and think the alfatex in the 1.8 TS blackline GT is lovely. I would happily swap my leather out for those...

·
Administrator
87,579 Posts
I think the part leather & alcantara seats available in the Giulietta QV & QV Line are a good compromise :thumbs:

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Leather interior is also key feature for fleet service or similar cars.
They do care about look through seat integrated arse- counter.
They never order seat heating for such cars irrespectively use area.
Leather seats without heating in cold country is disaster.
Just avoid such cars if you source used market.
Personally I have both heated Alfatex and leather.
While cold I always leave leather one for my wife.
She does not matter since she has a fur ( I mean fur coat :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:) in between.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts