Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While shopping on Ebay for some bits i noticed that there were an awful lot of leather interiors being sold and for not much dosh.
What is wrong with them? Why do people sell them of so cheap?
Here are a few that came up yesterday and I cannot understand why someone would want to swap out.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270390273119
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=380123860066
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220412364731

This is perplexing me so any explainations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Basically the market has been flooded with 156's being broken over the last year and the prices have just fallen through the floor, I just picked up a perfect set for £100 :thumbs:

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If my experiences of scanning the classifieds are anything to go buy, I suspect that a higher percentage of 156s have leather from the factory than with other makes too so the majority of people who want leather already have it.

Quite tempted by the blue set as my seats haven't got the Alfa badges on them.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
The leather interior on the 156 was only £500.00 factory order, meaning a large percentage had leather.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I think the "rule" goes like this

The amount of leather interiors on ebay is inversley proportional to the amount of cam belts replaced within 36k or 3 years

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

The amount of leather interiors on ebay is inversley proportional to the amount of cam belts replaced within 36k or 3 years
:lol: how true ...

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I think thats hit the nail on the head or rather the valve on the piston!

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
I think some people swap the leather out as it's not very breathable in the hot summer months.

Doesn't really apply in the UK though I suppose :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I think the leather was so popular because it looked so much better than the fabric seats............even in this country with the very hot weather I've never seen a 156 without leather.

And the UK seems to be the cheapest country to buy second hand parts too

·
Registered
396 Posts
Clearly because

1. It was standard with a lot of specs
2. It was a cheap upgrade per 2003
3. It looks ace
4. All alfas should have leather.

Post 2003 especially on 156, leather is a lot rarer as I believe it was busted up to £1500 as an option and a lot less had leather as standard.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Yeah, simple law of supply and demand.....a few years ago I could sell a set of £250.....now its £100 and I've four or five sets about.....I no longer allow any premium in the price if I buy a car for breaking, now - because the likelihood is it won't sell quickly and interiors are a pain to store.....

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
True, there are very few Alfas in this country so the parts are in very short supply and consequently expensive. £100 is nothing for the great quality of the 156 leather, apart from the GTA, they all seem to be able to take a lot of punishment.

Saying that I could do with a new rear seat base, mine has a nasty scratch it in :rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts