Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have got a Great Grey Leather interior in my GT has any found a 'Magic Potion that keeps it this way ?????? Cheers Peter D :confused:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Auto Glym Leather Care Balm used for years now.

Although always try on a inconspicious area first, as i found to my cost on the steering wheel of a 156. I used a product called astonish and it stripped the sheen off the leather.:)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Auto Glym Leather Care Balm
+1 - the autoglym cleaner when used with a soft bristle bruch for lathering up and getting the grime out of the grain is also VERY good.

Many people say "well, leather is skin and you can use soap and just regular moisturiser..." I don't tend to listen to this because I stripped the finish off a patch of sofa doing exactly this!!!!

Yes, the "proper" stuff costs more but it's worth it. Autoglym for me too.

·
Registered
30,074 Posts
Me too, BUT in my opinion it leaves the leather a bit too shiny, I'd prefer a more matte finish, so I think I'll try something else when the current bottle is up.

Or then I'm applying it wrong.
I think you are using too much...!

My leather isn't shiny.
It is 12-years old and still looks like new.

·
Registered
146 Posts
too much and probably too often - apply it to a microfibre cloth and work it in without adding too much more - before long, you won't have to add any, the cloth will be saturated and do the work for you. Then leave for a bit and if it is well shiny, use a clean microfibre cloth to rub it in some more?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I think you are using too much...!

My leather isn't shiny.
It is 12-years old and still looks like new.
too much and probably too often - apply it to a microfibre cloth and work it in without adding too much more - before long, you won't have to add any, the cloth will be saturated and do the work for you. Then leave for a bit and if it is well shiny, use a clean microfibre cloth to rub it in some more?
Thanks guys! I wouldn't say I've been slapping on endless amounts, but on the other hand, I can't say I've been saving the stuff for the future either :rolleyes::)

I'll try to apply more sparingly and see what happens the next couple of times.

I'm wondering what the previous owner used and if this might have an effect on the current result?

·
Registered
13,685 Posts

·
Registered
30,074 Posts
I'll try to apply more sparingly and see what happens the next couple of times.
How often are you using it?

I'm trying to remember, but I don't think I have finished a bottle yet... and I've had the car for 12-years... :lol:

·
Registered
397 Posts
How often are you using it?

I'm trying to remember, but I don't think I have finished a bottle yet... and I've had the car for 12-years... :lol:
I've had the car since March and applied twice, once early summer and then again in beginning of nov. I'm doing the livingroom sofas once every 6 months (with a different product though) and was planning to do the car about as often. Sofas are just as matte and soft as they were when new 5+ years ago, and I've never used leather cleaner on the them. But it might be an idea to try a leather cleaner on the carseats? Does twice a year sound too much/little on carseats?

I guess I'll be trying a few more times if a bottle's supposed to last a decade :lol: About a 5th of the bottle (500 ml) is gone after 2 applications, so with 2 times per year at current consumption would make the bottle last 5 years or so.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts