Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Also, in the original 1996 brochure, there's a photo of a leather cover on the passenger airbag cover?! Mine doesn't have this, its just a plain mat plastic. Does anyone know why?:confused:

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
maybe they ran out of leather that day in the factory
I got into this some years ago with another car.. apparently 'leather' can mean 'hide', like off a cow.. or plastic...

real leather is 'hide'..

so plastic can be leather.. but plastic can't be hide.. hide is hide..

and before that they had 'leathercloth' which wasn't plastic, leather or hide..

I think I got that right..

my seats came off an albino cow with red pin stripes..

correct me if I'm wrong...jeeezus

·
Registered
116 Posts
your wrong
leather cloth or Synthetic leathers, at times made from plastics, are often used in clothing and fabrics. Artificial leather is marketed under many brands, including "leatherette," "faux leather", "Naugahyde" and "pleather".

·
Registered
116 Posts
your wrong
leather cloth or Synthetic leathers, at times made from plastics, are often used in clothing and fabrics. Artificial leather is marketed under many brands, including "leatherette," "faux leather", "Naugahyde" and "pleather".

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
your wrong
whoops sorry.. I must have been lied to.. it was a steering wheel..

You are obviously in the trade.. so..Does that mean if 'faux leather' is described as 'leather' it is against the trade decsciptions act??.. and what was the stuff they used in really old pre war cars.. it was a kind of canvas impregnated with waxy stuff..??

this is a good read..

www.all-about-leather.co.uk/what-is-leather/what-is-leather.htm

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
whoops sorry.. I must have been lied to.. it was a steering wheel..

You are obviously in the trade.. so..Does that mean if 'faux leather' is described as 'leather' it is against the trade decsciptions act??.. and what was the stuff they used in really old pre war cars.. it was a kind of canvas impregnated with waxy stuff..??

this is a good read..

What is leather? What kind of leather is my product made of? Answers to these questions and more.
I notice the seat leather on cars like the GTV/Spider is quite different to what you find in a 156/166 or similar 2000's-era car. I suspect that the artificially uniform, smooth and soft texture of the latter mean it is a 'finished split' leather, as described at the end of that article.

The older cars seem to have a 'full grain' leather that is much thicker with more variation in textures giving the feeling it is a more natural product, but also harder and you slide around more.

-Alex

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I notice the seat leather on cars like the GTV/Spider is quite different to what you find in a 156/166 or similar 2000's-era car. I suspect that the artificially uniform, smooth and soft texture of the latter mean it is a 'finished split' leather, as described at the end of that article.

The older cars seem to have a 'full grain' leather that is much thicker with more variation in textures giving the feeling it is a more natural product, but also harder and you slide around more.

-Alex
PH1 seats :thumbs: or am I confused :D I do not care about the slide around I just inhale and then I am fixed to the seat :cool:.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
PH1 seats :thumbs: or am I confused :D I do not care about the slide around I just inhale and then I am fixed to the seat :cool:.
Ah, sorry, I should have been more clear.
I believe PH1 and PH2 have similar old-style full-grain seat leather. Not sure about the PH3 (probably the same), but other cars back to, say, 2003 seem to often have a different material that I'm guessing is "split leather". The shape of the seat is another matter well-discussed before ;)

-Alex

·
Registered
274 Posts
So...is this leather airbag cover available?my airbag is disconnected and i could really use another glovebox.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Number eight in the picture, part number: 112842860, but it does not allow you to use the space air bag houses as a second glovebox.

FIAT ePER
Niceee, I will try to find a second hand one (with a 100 pounds I can buy a million things) and I will make a small adjustment so it can open and close. Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts