Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33,257 Posts
Now and again the subject of automotive leather comes up. One factor is the quantity of coatings required to make it usable in a car. Less treated grades of leather in an Aston Martin need a customer to sign a disclaimer.
Here’s the last thread I can remember on the general subject

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now and again the subject of automotive leather comes up. One factor is the quantity of coatings required to make it usable in a car. Less treated grades of leather in an Aston Martin need a customer to sign a disclaimer.
Here’s the last thread I can remember on the general subject
Very complicated but thanks. A BMW I had used fake leather but it was very good and very convincing. The seats in my gtvs are leather though..... I hope the cows were not just used for the leather for cars and that the rest of the animal was put to good use too...... 😇

·
Registered
88 Posts
I know most if not all modern leather interiors have a clear coat finish to them, so any leather conditioners are pointless as they can't penetrate the clear coat. FWIW, I have always used a mildly diluted bucket of car shampoo and a clean microfiber. You need something that will degrease the leather. I don't put any "treatment" products on at all, just make sure any residue from the shampoo is removed and allow the seats to dry. This will give you that original factory matte look which is all I'm interested in. Car shampoo to me is a good choice rather than detergent as it should be PH neutral and low in salt content.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I use Gyeon Leather cleaner regularly with bristle leather cleaning brush. I’ve also applied Gyeons Leather Shield which allegedly protects against long term damage to the leather. Hard to say really if the Shield is working as I’ve only covered 16K since I bought the car 8 months ago, but it seems to be doing the job at the mo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts