Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
AO Member, 166/164 Lounge Winner 09
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Realised there were a few drops of oil on the garage floor today - had a look under the car and saw this:

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd320/AGM155/DSC02186.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd320/AGM155/DSC02185.jpg

Those are taken from between the passenger's (right hand drive car) side wheel and the front bumper, i.e. here:

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd320/AGM155/DSC02187.jpg

The oil seems to be coming from the circular shaped part and the bolt to what seems to be the undertray.

My question to you guys is a) what have I done b) what parts do I need to fix it and c) how broke will it make me?

Thanks in advance :)

·
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few other things to add:

-It bottomed out quite badly on a road on Sunday because I was rounding a bend in the road and didn't see the depression in it until it was too late. I had a quick look around after it happened and didn't notice anything but I may have missed this.

-Oil level is fine

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
I think the undertray will have to come off to truly see what has happened.

The power steering fluid lines are in that area so check the level, however the fluid is red so should be obvious and its very high pressure so it should gush if there is a problem.

HTH

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
the car would be very heavey if it is the powersteering lines - i have done that and Red colour also moves away from that.. Radiator?

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Hope its your rad........There easy to change apart from when you geta brand you broken one, and then a 2.0 ts for a 3.0.......and that stupid bottom hose is a ***** to take off!!

To check the rad just run the car till it warms up, then its to the temp it should be just look for signs of water! I found mine didnt start leaking till the engine was warm!!! :thumbs:

·
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm thanks guys. I'm not going to drive it until its sorted, except for to the dealer I think - sounds like the problem is over my head.

·
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just thought, is that gearbox mount hydraulic? if so it may not be anymore.

HTH
We have a winner!!!

Car is in today, had a call to say the gearbox mount has failed. Guy at the dealership says he's never seen or heard of it happening before.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
We have a winner!!!

Car is in today, had a call to say the gearbox mount has failed. Guy at the dealership says he's never seen or heard of it happening before.
me owning a Saab 9000 was useful for something then :D

at least it will not be too expensive to fix, unlike a gearbox ot PS lines

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does the 9000 part fit? It will be cheeper than at alfa. I read some where that the 166 & 9000 shared the same floor pan ?
It would be great if some one created a list of alternative parts, & where to get them.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
the 164 and the 9000 share about 6 bits of floor pan, and the 166 is based on a variation of the 164 floorpan, but shares no bits. What they all share is a bit of individuality and are all fine cars.

and if you think Alfa parts are expensive, perhaps you have not owned a Saab :cheese:

·
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nah wasn't too expensive to fix. Had intermediate service and new brake pads and rotors fitted. Drives wonderfully now.

·
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah it is a hydraulic mount. I had my work done at Lance Dixon.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Interesting didn't know it was hydraulic , yep just about to get my 166 serviced at Lance Dixon i have always found them pretty good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts