Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, tackled replacing the driveshaft finally, didn't go too badly and felt good after a short test drive.
This morning large pool of gearbox fluid, leaked from where the shaft enters the gearbox :disappointed:

I basically followed the instructions on https://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/Alfa_159_Brera_drive_shaft_removal.shtml and didn't think about any oil seal, is there one I should have replaced?
There wasn't one on the shaft that came out so if there is I guess I've reused it.

I can't see a part on eLearn, it just talks about the safety ring on the end of the shaft.
I'm pretty sure I pushed the shaft home into the box, is there a way of telling its fully inserted (apart from it doesn't leak oil!)

Any help much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
The seal fits in the gearbox where shaft enters,always good practice to replace if having shaft out surprised the guide doesn’t suggest this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The seal fits in the gearbox where shaft enters,always good practice to replace if having shaft out surprised the guide doesn’t suggest this.
So there is a seal, thank you for shining a light!
Do you know the part number or a supplier by any chance?

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Normally caused by not being fully seated when you fitted the shaft into the gearbox..guess how I know? Lol!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Normally caused by not being fully seated when you fitted the shaft into the gearbox..guess how I know? Lol!
I feel we have trod the same path!
Does removing the old shaft dislodge it then? (Maybe I just needed to pop it back in, but I'd have thought fitting the new shaft would do that?)

How do you know the seal, and the shaft itself, are seated? I was hesitant to just whack the other end of the shaft!

It was all going so well until the drive developed a (not)water feature.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Removing it did not dislodge the seal (in my case at least)...but I thought the driveshaft was all the way in and it looked it and all bolted up properly....but it was about 5mm from fully in and the retaining spring had not seated properly. The problem was actually the spring which was slightly thicker metal than the old one...so I removed the spring from the old shaft and used that. I did have to tap it in but not from the bolt end...too much movement in the shaft for that to work...I did try that first though. I tapped it in on the inner CV using a piece of wood to spread the load and not damage the boot...a single moderate hit seated it...no leak.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Removing it did not dislodge the seal (in my case at least)...but I thought the driveshaft was all the way in and it looked it and all bolted up properly....but it was about 5mm from fully in and the retaining spring had not seated properly. The problem was actually the spring which was slightly thicker metal than the old one...so I removed the spring from the old shaft and used that. I did have to tap it in but not from the bolt end...too much movement in the shaft for that to work...I did try that first though. I tapped it in on the inner CV using a piece of wood to spread the load and not damage the boot...a single moderate hit seated it...no leak.
Many thanks, that makes a lot of sense.
I'll apply some gentle wood based persuasion to the final boot and hopefully get a satisfying click!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I think it's pretty much essential to replace the seal, which will be hardened and worn after <driveshaft life miles>. I did my passenger side at 85k, and looking at the old seal I was amazed it hadn't been leaking. Compared with new, from Alfaworkshop, it was utterly knackered.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Replaced a lot of driveshafts....never replaced a seal whilst doing it....never had one leak..... yet.:rotate:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I'm going to try with just "properly" inserting the shaft and see how I get on, I'm lacking daylight hours to take the entire shaft out again (away this weekend...by train now!).
But I've ordered a seal to ensure I'm ready if it goes to heck!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Well I'm going to try with just "properly" inserting the shaft and see how I get on, I'm lacking daylight hours to take the entire shaft out again (away this weekend...by train now!).
But I've ordered a seal to ensure I'm ready if it goes to heck!
I wouldn't hit the rubber boot with anything - you'll end up splitting it and having a whole world of pain again. I've used a G-Clamp across the joint cup and then tapped that with a hammer - it's always worked (eventually)

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Rubber mallet on the end of the stub axle, before installing the 36mm nut worked with one tap, here.

EDIT: Although thinking about it, by the time I'd compressed the shaft, the stub axle wasn't projecting so I used a piece of 1" square wood as a drift.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts