Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a slight water (coolant) leak into the passenger footwell on my 2.0 16V (1997). Anyone got any idea how to get to the heater matrix and valve (which I've read is the likely failed part) - I've unscrewed every screw in sight and still not got anywhere,

Thanks

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi Mike,
Are you sure its not just the heater inlet tap that's leaking, which is usually what causes coolant to leak into the passenger footwell? If so you can renew this without having to remove the matrix. You'll only need to remove the centre console and the trim on the right hand side of the passenger footwell, and probably the glovebox. The tap can then be accessed, and removed by removing the hose and undoing the two retaining bolts (after you've drained the coolant of course).Be prepared for a bit of spillage!!
Just a warning though, on refitting the tap don't overtighten the bolts or you'll snap the plastic housing that holds them in place (I speak from bitter experience!)
FYI the replacement is tap part no is 7754042, and you'll need a 7619390 gasket - cost you about a tenner.

Hope this Helps,
Mark :)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mark, Very helpful. You may well be right about the tap.

You say "You'll only need to remove the centre console and the trim on the right hand side of the passenger footwell, and probably the glovebox."

Could you give me a few more details about how to attack this. I started but unscrewing parts from the console, the ash tray, fault indicator etc so that I had access to the ventillation controls and behind - but it became obvious I wasn't making progress in the right direction (then it got dark!).

A lot of the side panel/ central console seems to be one piece

Could you possibly list what order things need to be removed in - and some hint at to where the fixings are.

Many thanks for your assistance

Mike

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Mike,
Sorry forgot to say welcome to the forum! :)
Its a while since I've done this job, but you don't need to touch any of the heater controls or check panel.
The best point of attack is to remove the glove box assembly first, then remove the panel secured by three self tapping screws attached to the front of the console (in the passenger footwell) This should expose the tap and inlet hose, and give you enough working room to do the job.

Hope this helps,
Mark. :)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mark, I'll have a go at that tomorrow.

I was on the Forum a while ago but my registration got lost somehow. I normally drive a Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo, but have to keep an Alfa 155 going for my wife who covers about 25k miles a year. It now has 103,000 miles on it and still going strong,

Regards

Mike

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem was the tap - now replaced, a bit awkward but not too bad.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Mike,
Glad to hear you've solved the problem!
Was it wasy enough to remove enough trim to get to the heater tap??
I've done this job a couple of times, and its always been a bit "fiddly".

Mark :)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Mark,

I undid all the screws under the glovebox, including the large bolt under the cover which secures the dashboard to the bulkhead. This gave me enough 'flex' to pull the cover under the glovebox enough to give me access to remove the flimsy cover over the tap. I knew older Alfa build quality wasn't great, but was slightly alarmed to see plastic parts stapled together.

Still - its nice to drive!

Mike

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Mike,
Lots of bad memories have just come flooding back to me whilst reading that post :( .I remember doing this job on a Lancia Dedra (same set up). Mi hands looked like I'd been fighting with a rotweiller after I'd finished the job.
Glad to hear you've sorted it.

Mark. :D wink

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Howdy!

Just done it on my 93 TS. Remove all the lower dash (about 1 hour) and it is EASY to get at the tap!! Now I dont have warm air when the knob points at cold!! Happy!!! Combined the tap with the thermostat replacement (only one bleeding to do!)

Oliver :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts