Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So first off, it's not my Alfa thankfully. However we're pretty sure my dads car has a leaking heater matrix. Water in the cabin which is not fresh and the car is losing coolant etc.

Now he's tried to book it in with the dealer (car is under warranty) and they can't get him until next week. Problem is that he's a driving instructor and needs his car but the dealers have told him not to drive it as it could be potentially dangerous apparently.

My question is, other than coolant levels going low, are there any other possible dangers to the car?

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
The water is under pressure and it's hot. The dealer is probably thinking that if the matrix suddenly lets go there'll be pressurised hot water ( and in Summer that could be at more than boiling point at atmospheric pressure* ) and legs.

They're probably erring on the side of caution, but so should your father ( as a driving instructor ).

* If like you he's in West Yorkshire, you may also have to consider the effect of the increased altitude on the boiling point of the water.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I had a heater control valve that cracked once in the GTV, it was quite a lot off hot coolant surrounding the feet but the worst was that the car steamed up in seconds visibility out from the car was almost zero .. not nice in trafik when you are in the move to overtake another car.

A temporary fix is to bypass the heater matrix with a suitable piece of pipe, I did that to get the car home and it worked well, obviously there was no heat in the car but hey it's summer. :happy:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts