Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been slowly leaking coolant for the last week, I took a look today and it seems like it's getting out where one of the small hoses attaches to the engine, then dribbling down and evaporating off the top of the thing.

I've attached pics showing where it's leaking from. Is there something I can apply to get a better seal here, or will replacing the ClicR clip be enough? Or is there something more sinister that could be going on?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
The clip doesn't look particularly secure. I'd replace it with a jubilee clip which you can tighten in accordance with the natural flattening of the rubber, attach it lower down too, nearer to the end of the pipe.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That small pipe is hexagonal though (so it can be removed I guess, why you'd need to do that I do not know), so attaching it further down wouldn't be a very good fit.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
That small pipe is hexagonal though (so it can be removed I guess, why you'd need to do that I do not know), so attaching it further down wouldn't be a very good fit.
Ah I see now.....from the picture it was not immediately obvious. So it's not leaking from the rubber /plastic pipe, it's leaking from the metal (copper?) fitting that is screwed into the head. I'd remove this piece (prepare for a little coolant loss) clean up the area and reattach securely, maybe use some PTFE tape on the thread?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like it's escaped where the rubber attaches, but because it's pooled at the bottom of the pipe it's hard to tell. The leaked coolant having splashed about makes it tough to tell too.

I couldn't see anything leaking with the car idling (cold engine though), but I'll have a look this evening when I get home when the engine is hot. And even later this evening (after it's not so hot) I'll replace that clip, check the hose, and rinse off the leaked coolant.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, that hose was definitely loose. I've put on a new clip (though it was a little big, its tightened pretty much as small as it'll go), and tomorrow morning I'll know if that was it. If so I think I'll buy another pack of teeny tiny hose clamps in case any of the others decide they've had enough.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
That's the issue with clic-r type clips. They are quick and easy to use (with the correct tool), and neater to look at in the engine bay than jubilee clips, but they are of little use when the rubber or plastic of a hose/pipe compresses over time as they have a predetermined clamping force. Glad you got it sorted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts