Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am preparing the spider for the summer and was looking for the Airbag ecu. I removed the side panels in the footwells and noticed that there were traces from a leak. I am attaching a photo.
Before digging in and starting removing panels I wanted to ask if anyone has seen such thing and if you have any advice what to check.
There is also a black spot on the carpenting, but I think it was made by the sticky center console.
I know now that I was looking at the wrong spot for the airbag ecu.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Heater hose connection and/or seal likely suspects.

B5707BF6-17A6-4CC6-BEC1-43ADAB261DB4.png

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!
I will open around and clean up.
I guess it should make it easier to find the leak.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Looks slightly worse than the leak I had, but very very similar. Replacements are readily available, there is a hose with a valve integrated that seems to fail. The cover over this is a bit of a pain to remove, but it's possible. Different on a UK car, but you'll need to remove the covering panels above to access the HVAC covering panels. In the UK, was about £15 for a replacement tap.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Definitely the tap. There is a cover you need to remove, it's the cover that presses against the tap, putting it under strain and this contributes to failure. Replace the tap, don't put the cover back it doesn't do anything. I have a left hand drive Spider, been there done that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Definitely the tap. There is a cover you need to remove, it's the cover that presses against the tap, putting it under strain and this contributes to failure. Replace the tap, don't put the cover back it doesn't do anything. I have a left hand drive Spider, been there done that.
Do you happen to have any photos from when you did yours? It will help me while digging this weekend.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a screenshot from the manual.
I guess the cover that is applying pressure is 1?
Which one is usually the leaky one? 2 or 3.
Do I replace the part that connects the hose to the radiator (evaporator) or should I replace the hoses too?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update - opened up and could see liquid and some traces... but could not find the source.
I have left it open and will monitor to see if I can find the source. Maybe now with the cover off it will not leak?
Is there a setting/position of the controls that has higher probability of leaking?
Should I try to tighten the screws holding the adjustment thingie/inlet to the radiator? I could not find any torque specs in the manual.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had a similar issue - the cause wasn't 100% apparent from the staining present, and some of it suggested it could have been the top hose. But sure enough - replaced the bottom tap (the one visible in your photos) and leak has gone. They aren't expensive, but do have a tub on hand to catch the coolant when you open it up! I did a basic write-up on mine when I replaced it; Mines RHD but the process should be largely similar - link below. Think there's also a link to the tap I purchased.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you Beddo88!
I have identified the part number. Apparently it has been substituted - hopefully not as fragile. I am waiting to hear from my local parts dealer on price and availablity.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
It would be silly not to if it's all apart.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The one I ordered came with a new seal. I didn't order directly from Alfa though, needed it quickly :D

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Beddo88 will be able to tell you with more confidence but I believe it is a rubber ‘O’ ring and a generic ought to do it.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Yes just a small o ring, I did buy one at the time when I replaced mine in 2010 but didn't bother as the current one looked ok. No problems since.

The main issue is don't replace the cover. That is the cause of the problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The cover seems like the reason, but I also see that the part number on the ****/valve has changed and maybe the new one is sturdy or shorter?
Imagine getting 90C cooling liquid on your feet from a crack in the hose...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hahaha... the word for rooster and male genetalia, that is used in the parts manual to describe the valve is censured!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts