Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Yesterday I went to set off in my 147 and suddenly by brakes went really spongey. I got out and noticed a leak from underneath the engine bay, quite a long trail. It didn't look like water but and I didnt have a cloth handy to check the levels properly. All were showing OK but the Selespeed fluid resevoir looked farly empty so it was probably just residue that was on the dip stick gauge.

Is the Selespeed fluid resevoir also for the brake fluid (haven't had chance to get the manual out)?? If so it makes sense that it has leaked out. I was still abel to engage gear though, but did not try to drive any more as I heard it becomes impossible to enagge gear one the fluid drops below a certain level.

Does my diagnosis sound correct?

My dealer is miles away so would like to get an educated guess before calling them out to pick it up. Or should I just call Alfa Connect/The AA? Back in my old Punto today :( Yikes where's the steering :D .

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
Hi Chappy,

I do not know much about selespeed, but I guess it is separated from the brakes. I think, that because of safety reasons, brake circuit must be independent. The fluids are probablly different too. Selesped doesnt need so high temperature resistant fluid as brakes.

I would probably call the dealer, as in both cases /gearbox or brake fluid leak/ you shouldnt drive.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Nope.not the same but if its leaking you might have to replace the relay pump or the actuator.I have had a similar experience only mine got worse.lucky for you,this forum is the best to get info about Alfa's.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Chappy said:
Hi all,

Yesterday I went to set off in my 147 and suddenly by brakes went really spongey. I got out and noticed a leak from underneath the engine bay, quite a long trail. It didn't look like water but and I didnt have a cloth handy to check the levels properly. All were showing OK but the Selespeed fluid resevoir looked farly empty so it was probably just residue that was on the dip stick gauge.

Is the Selespeed fluid resevoir also for the brake fluid (haven't had chance to get the manual out)?? If so it makes sense that it has leaked out. I was still abel to engage gear though, but did not try to drive any more as I heard it becomes impossible to enagge gear one the fluid drops below a certain level.

Does my diagnosis sound correct?

My dealer is miles away so would like to get an educated guess before calling them out to pick it up. Or should I just call Alfa Connect/The AA? Back in my old Punto today :( Yikes where's the steering :D .
Sounds likely. The brakefluid and cluchfluid is the same on other cars believe it's the same on the selespeed. I think the it might be that you have a leak in the brake system and therefore you are loosing brakefluid/cluchfluid... You also might get some air in the system so the brakes feel "strange"

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Hi Chappy,

as it has been said, the Sele fluid resevoir doesn't share the same fuid with anything else. Actually, the Sele circuit is separeted from everyting else. You might have notice now that the fluid level was very low but, just by luck. The fact is, it doesn't take much fluid and the diference between the top and low levels is very small.

You didn't told us how do you feel the break pedal?

·
3,202 Posts
Kjetil said:
Sounds likely. The brakefluid and cluchfluid is the same on other cars believe it's the same on the selespeed. I think the it might be that you have a leak in the brake system and therefore you are loosing brakefluid/cluchfluid... You also might get some air in the system so the brakes feel "strange"
I am not sure about this. When I had my clutch replaced,my dealer forgot to bleed the air out of clutch hydraulics. The clutch pedal was strange, getting more and more spongy, and after 4 km I stoped on the cross-road without posibilty to shift. After some time, I was able to shift into 2nd gear and crawl back to dealer. However, the brake pedal was firm, and felt like normal. So I think, cluth and brakes are not connecterd and I still can not find any logic or purpose in connecting these two systems. With selespeed I still might be wrong.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your answers. I thought the clutch fluid was the one with a diagram which looks like a nut (goes with a bolt) with two lines inside??? The one at the back of the engine bay about a third the way across from the right. If so this is still completely full.

I thought the Selespeed one was to the right of the enigne bay? Steering fluid back left and engine coolant at the left?

Definitely sounds like there is air in the brakes. Pedal goes to the floor practically. Really easily.

I'll call the dealer to see what they say.

Thanks again. Huraah for warranties eh?

·
3,202 Posts
THROTTLEMAN - you was a few seconds faster, but thanks for explanation.

Chappy - if brakes leak, assure yourself that the mechanic doesnt only repair the leak and tops up the brake fluid. All brake fluid should be changed. You may have air in your brake system, and brake fluid absorbs air humidity => lowers a lot its boiling-point.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I've noticed this before that there is not much difference between top and bottom. Why did they do that??? Makes me panic when I see it. The Selespeed fluid level has never dropped below full. They did replace the Selespeed actuator under warranty at the first service. I'll check again when I get home to see if it has drained at all.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gotcha said:
assure yourself that the mechanic doesnt only repair the leak and tops up the brake fluid. All brake fluid should be changed.
My garage did a great job last time, no questions asked, put my own oil in without any fuss. So I do trust them to do a thorough job. But I will ask them when I call. Thanks.

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
That's why I asked about the breaks. ;) You could have been thinking about one thing while it was the other...
If the pedal goes to the floor so easily you have a problem. Might be a problem on the circuit, might just be a small leak (and there for the fluid on the floor) or might be a problem with the break pump. I wouldn't drive it, anyway.

Do you hear a "whistle" when you press the break pedal?

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Try another thing, press the break pedal fast and repeatedly and see if the break pedal becomes hard.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
THROTTLEMAN said:
Try another thing, press the break pedal fast and repeatedly and see if the break pedal becomes hard.
OK. I will try again later but will not drive. I do remember pressing it a couple of times and it did feel firmer, but let me test as you said and I will get back to you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
gotcha said:
I am not sure about this. When I had my clutch replaced,my dealer forgot to bleed the air out of clutch hydraulics. The clutch pedal was strange, getting more and more spongy, and after 4 km I stoped on the cross-road without posibilty to shift. After some time, I was able to shift into 2nd gear and crawl back to dealer. However, the brake pedal was firm, and felt like normal. So I think, cluth and brakes are not connecterd and I still can not find any logic or purpose in connecting these two systems. With selespeed I still might be wrong.
Okay, sorry for the inconvenience (or however you spell it) From now on I'll post only when I really know what I'm taking about. Better that way. I didn't know that it was two different systems. Sorry Chappy!

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Don't worry Kjetil. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
THROTTLEMAN said:
Don't worry Kjetil. :)

Thank's Throttleman. :)
But I'll start thinking before typing from now on. (At least try since there's not much going on in my head... ) :p
Comming with suggestions is noe thing, but like here, not having a clue is worse. What if I were the only one replying?

Anyway, back to the topic. :D

·
3,202 Posts
Kjetil said:
Okay, sorry for the inconvenience (or however you spell it) From now on I'll post only when I really know what I'm taking about. Better that way. I didn't know that it was two different systems. Sorry Chappy!
No problem. This forum is for sharing our experience. This time I was right, next time you will be. The point is, Chappy has more opinions and gets his problem sorted out.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
gotcha said:
No problem. This forum is for sharing our experience. This time I was right, next time you will be. The point is, Chappy has more opinions and gets his problem sorted out.
Indeed. No worries Kjetil.

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
You're welcome mate. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks guys! You're the best! :D

And once again, how about starting to discuss the problem agian? :p

Oh no. Now I feel that I'm the one to blame to have lost the trail of this post... Just kidding! :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts