Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a run and let her cool down for a bit before putting her away and noticed a few drops of oil on the floor, it looks like its coming from the rear of the gearbox and dripping onto the x member - while I was poking around underneath I noticed the donut was cracked - oh great!! - no vibration from the drive train but a bit of slop in take up, guess that's what it was then, at least I can get underneath comfortably - would the leak be caused by the seal failing because the donut is fubar and can I change the seal with the box in place?
Thanks

G

·
Top tip for replacing the donut is to leave the metal strap surrounding the donut in place until all the bolts are replaced, then and only then cut the strap off, otherwise you will have one helluva time getting the bolts to line up with the donut holes !
As for the oil leak...gearbox oil has that distinctive sulphury smell...would be good to ensure it is gearbox oil and not engine oil.
Glad she got you home in one piece.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chris - its definitely gbox oil as I can see where its coming from (rear seal) I'm using the redline synthetic so it doesn't smell the same as the mineral stuff, I've checked on bb and everyone says put a large hose clamp round the original to help get it off as well, I presume you don't have to dismantle the entire propshaft to get the dohnut (guibo) off?
Cheers

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jim - presume its fairly simple? - just follow the rules about balancing
Cheers

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've done mine. As Jim suggests makes sense (unlesss they have already been done recently) to change the UJs and the bearing carrier whilst you have the prop off. Make sure you mark the relationship of the prop to the flanges then should not need balancing when you re-assemble. Easy enough job to do, although you will probably need to get the old centre bearing pressed off and the new one back on. I certainly did!

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Tom - the centre bearing was done very recently luckily but the end seal needs doing badly as she's losing quite a bit of oil - don't know why it suddenly let go maybe something to do with the cracked donut causing vibration,,, - means I'll miss next weeks local show which is a real shame (unless I burn the midnight candle) but then I got Bristol in and that is a big bonus.
Cheers

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks S4 - handy - dismantled it tonight - actually much easier than I thought it was going to be thanks to the pit - the seal seems in reasonable condition but I have ordered a new one anyway but the donut is a different matter....... - hopefully get it back together tomorrow

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I prefer the term "FUBAR" ......

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
New donut and seal arrived today (Classic Alfa are pretty fast) so hopefully start tonight, should be ready for the "Wheelnuts" show on Sunday, I didn't drop the prop right off as that would have meant taking the exhaust off so the centre bearing could clear, but enough room to move around anyway - luckily I had a deep
32mm "wheel hub socket" which was spot on for getting the donut carrier off. While I was working underneath I was contemplating whether it would be a good idea to "delete" the rear box for a bit more rasp, I think someone else has done this before with nice results - next project

1 - 12 of 12 Posts