Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's getting near that time again, Le Mans is calling. I usually go over mid week, stay for the race and then stay over for the classic, however, with the fuel shortage due to French industrial action my plans going astray. Anybody going over and what are your fuel plans?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been following the news and so far nothing has improved, I am debating whether or not to take a load of fuel with me and hope that it gets better sooner rather than later. The RAC rescue cannot get fuel if you run out over there.
Bugger.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Is it really that bad? About 5 years ago, there was a major fuel shortage in France due to industrial action. The UK media made it out to be so bad that basically you couldn't get any diesel anywhere! We were driving down to Bordeaux for a holiday, so brimmed the tank, replaced most of our belongings with smelly diesel cans and off we set at 55 mph with aircon off, windows shut etc etc. By my calculations if we filled up in Portsmouth just before getting on the ferry, we could make it to Bordeaux and have a bit left on the one tank.

We could get fuel everywhere. No queues, no shortages, no panic buying just life as normal. So we returned to the UK a week later with our 60 litres of diesel in the boot...

·
Registered
774 Posts
We have friends near Cognac who tell us today that all the petrol stations are open near them and no queues or shortages. And as someone said, three weeks is a long time in politics!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The news is reporting that the problem areas are the north and west, oh, thats where I am going, rats.
Thing is, Monsieur Holland seems determined to force this bit of legislation through.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
The news is reporting that the problem areas are the north and west, oh, thats where I am going, rats.
Thing is, Monsieur Holland seems determined to force this bit of legislation through.
It won't last.
The French are hosting the Euros as well as Le Mans in June.
Someone will climb down. I am hoping they will anyway as this year's transport is a TVR Chimera (a mates). Apart from the risk of breakdown being appreciably higher than an Alfa it also drinks petrol way beyond the ability of even a Busso. On a full tank I estimate a bit south of Rouen!

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Not my problem, I'm on a coach trip though I've never seen them pick up fuel in France on the several trips I've done with them.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Probably going to the Classic this year. Hopefully all over by then.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts