Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy's.I decided to carbon wrap the center console of my 147.All went well until I put it back together when I noticed my LCD for the heater/blower was all out of whack.Everything still works fine its just the display is un-readable. If anyone has any idea what mistake I have made please point me in the right direction,thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
It will be a poor connection to the displays . Were there any ribbon connectors in the back that you disturbed inside the console ( not behind in the dash but actually in the unit. Did the same on a pug central display. Ended up having to carefully resolder it back together to get it to work. Possible but a faff.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will check it again,there was one ribbon connection so I must have disturbed it.Thanks for the advice :)

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
It will almost certainly be that. The problem is resoldering it. I put a layer of electrical tape over the connection and then slowly heated it up with the soldering iron to help bond the connector back on without melting the ribbon itself. I kept turning the ignition on to check how it was going. Slowly the segmenst missing came back to life.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Looks good. any chance of a better photo? I may do this myself. I have put a double din stereo in which is black and obviously does not match the dash.

Does anybody know if all 147's have a silver centre console? If they made a black one I would be very tempted to buy one and swap it out for a black one. Hence matching the double din unit.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
2 colours. Silver and dark silver for the GTA

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Another (slight) possibility: that sort of display has a mask in between the illuminated segments and the external lens. If it is dislodged or misaligned the display becomes illegible, although it is actually working correctly. I discovered this by running a circular saw through the LED display on our washing machine whilst sawing an 8x4 of ply :) Now fixed with a new mask. Anyhow, if it's possible that you disturbed it, that could be the problem. It's just a black piece of plastic with cut-outs for the segments.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help,I will not have time to look at it again until next week but Im sure I will sort it out with your suggestions :) I never really liked the silver that was in it and when I replaced the head unit I thought why not wrap it.It's not my first choice unit but it will do until I can get something better.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
is that wrapped with genuine carbon fibre fabric or is it that sticky stuff?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Looks good. I have got a roll of that carbon firbe stuff somewhere. I bought it to make door sills for my old Ford Puma but never got round to doing it.

I have been doing a bit of research and plastidip seems to be the best option for painting it black. It looks like a nice mat finish. When I sell the car I can then peel it off and put the original stereo back in and it's back to it's original colour.

Another little project for the Alfa lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is the 3M carbon wrap,its not just a print and has a different texture so it to feel like real carbon,good stuff. I was looking at the plastidip too but I was thinking of black alloys :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts